Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I almost always hold my iPad in landscape mode, unless of course an app demands the other way. I would not really mind a smaller distance from the edge to the screen, but it could get annoying when holding it.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I almost always hold my iPad in landscape mode, unless of course an app demands the other way. I would not really mind a smaller distance from the edge to the screen, but it could get annoying when holding it.

Holding it on landscape mode wont be a problem at all... Weight is the biggest problem

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I like the bezel as is. I don't want thinner and lighter if it reduces the quality, performance, battery life. An iPad in a slim fit shoulderbag isn't exactly backbreaking!

Agree! In my opinion the iPad 4 is perfect as is. I don't want to see any design changes that compromise performance. I primarily use my iPad at home. I don't have any need for an iPad at work or when I'm out and about so weight doesn't matter to me and screen size, retina display and performance do.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
If I remember correctly someone from apple had said that there would be no new iPad/ iPhone until fall.

The reasoning being the technology is only ready for shipping in the fall. Anything earlier would put apple behind for a large portion of the year. The earlier production times are tProbably to make it easier for construction considering the iPhone 5 incident.

Chances are the new iPad will look like the mini, 20% lighter and thinner due to chassis/unibody. Personally I don't foresee a big tech jump anytime soon unless they add 3D.

A lot of people actually like the heft of the iPad, due to better stability

colincarter

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
I hope they keep it the same and don't go down the same route of cost cutting like they have with the iphone 5.

the iphone 5 just feels so cheap and nasty compared to the 4 or 4s and i hope they don't do the same with the iPad. The ipad doesnt really weigh much in the scheme of things but apple seem to be on a mission for "thinness" even when there is no need/ Just look at the new imac, why does a desktop need to be so thin? (and then its only the edges, the middle is as fat as ever)

just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I hope they keep it the same and don't go down the same route of cost cutting like they have with the iphone 5.

the iphone 5 just feels so cheap and nasty compared to the 4 or 4s and i hope they don't do the same with the iPad. The ipad doesnt really weigh much in the scheme of things but apple seem to be on a mission for "thinness" even when there is no need/ Just look at the new imac, why does a desktop need to be so thin? (and then its only the edges, the middle is as fat as ever)

Talk about thin. I lasted a few days with an ipod touch 5 and returned it because I fumbled with it in my hand many times. Thankfully I never dropped it.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Now that the world has ended and we are all disembodied astral travellers, imagine how thin, light, invisible the ectoplasmic ipad5 will be.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

Speak for yourself. The weight reduction of the iPhone 5 was more than welcome. If they can get the iPad under a pound, that'll really escalate the use cases for it. There are still many many people out there who would prefer a 10" tablet but complain that the current one is too heavy for extended use.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
There are many ways and means for using an iPad without holding it. The only time I hold an iPad is very briefly in my lap, the rest of the time it is on various stands, hoverbars, or propped up with Smart Cover.

Okay, not everyone can afford to have a variety of tools for different situations ... Such as laptop, iPad, phone, and desktop. But even if you do have only an iPad, you can still avoid holding it for prolonged periods for little cost.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Why on earth would anyone wait to buy any iPad? Resell it in three months at a $100 loss when the new model hits. That's $33 per month rental cost, more than worth it to enjoy the iPad during that time.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Why on earth would anyone wait to buy any iPad? Resell it in three months at a $100 loss when the new model hits. That's $33 per month rental cost, more than worth it to enjoy the iPad during that time.

Because not everyone wants to go into the hassle of resell, buy, resell, buy, repeat.

Some people want to actually enjoy using the device for a longer time than just 1 year and selling at a loss would just be unnecessary.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
Apple already slimmed a tiny bit on the vertical bezel (long sides in portrait orientation) on the iPad 2 compared to the original iPad. The first iPad's vertical and horizontal bezels were exactly the same width on all sides, which Jony Ive and Co. probably found it made the iPad look fat and square-ish, so they reduced the bezel on the iPad 2's long sides to produce a slimming effect. They likely justified this on the iPad 2 casing's tapered edges, which made holding the device less painful.

On the iPad mini promo video, Jony Ive explains the iPad mini's almost nonexistent vertical bezel as a design decision of trying to make the device a "concentration" of the full sized iPad as opposed to just a shrunken-down iPad. But ultimately, it's purely an aesthetic decision since the mini is designed to ignore possible unintended touches near the bezel.

I think the iPad 5 will end up looking and feeling a lot like the mini, but hope Apple's ID team realizes that just because they found a way to trim the side bezel on the mini, they shouldn't do the same to its bigger brother without any significant benefit.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
the Mini fell off from my hands a couple time while i was trying to use it in bed...:(

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Smaller bezel would mean less space for the mechanisms inside the iPad. I don't know how they'll be able to make it even more powerful and still cut the size of the iPad from the sides just for a smaller bezel.

But I over course like to see a smaller bezel. Less bezel = more modern.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Smaller bezel would mean less space for the mechanisms inside the iPad. I don't know how they'll be able to make it even more powerful and still cut the size of the iPad from the sides just for a smaller bezel.

A smaller bezel is achieved by making the viewable screen larger, not by reducing the overall size of the iPad therefore there'd be the same 'space for the mechanisms inside the iPad.'

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
A smaller bezel is achieved by making the viewable screen larger, not by reducing the overall size of the iPad therefore there'd be the same 'space for the mechanisms inside the iPad.'

Says who?! Surley they could do it either way?

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I don't get all this waiting about for the next thing. There's never going to be a perfect device and as I only have, at best, around 40 years left on this earth I will enjoy the best things that I can have today.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Says who?! Surley they could do it either way?

Says who? The person I quoted.

Next time, try actually reading posts before replying.

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around...

You lost me there. Either you are crippled, diseased, very small, or some other disability. The iPad is light. Mini is lighter, no contest, but the iPad is effortless.

I'm holding out for anything better which comes along later this year. Smaller bezel, lighter, better processor, more memory, better cameras, better glass, anything. GIVE IT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.