Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
macrumors newbie
Join Date: Apr 2013
Looking to buy a new Macbook Pro for Audio Production, should I wait?

Hi, I'm looking at buying a new laptop to use mainly for audio production (protools, logic) and was wondering what my best option would be? It seems to me that the retina macbook pros have more power than the regular ones but they are so much more expensive. I for one don't need the retina screen (and probably not a fancy graphics card?) but I guess I could use the power and definitely 16GB ram.

I was just reading on here that the new macbook pros should be released mid June and although I can wait until then I probably can't wait too much longer. Is it worth the wait to get Haswell? Thanks guys and sorry if I sound like a noob!

Last edited by cloudig; Apr 30, 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
cloudig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
macrumors 68000
B...'s Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
If you can wait, you should. Haswell brings better battery life and better iGPU, which is not as important for the 15" with the dGPU. Also, the power in the retinas lie in the SSD. I would say get a 15" cMBP, toss in 16 GB RAM for $100 and a 256 or 512 GB SSD for $200/500, and you have the speed of the retina with the expandability and SuperDrive of a regular, minus the screen and the thinness.

Do you plan on taking it around with you everywhere?
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
macrumors 6502
Join Date: Jan 2013
The 15 inch cmbp would be fine. Quad core is what you're after, and storage space if you're going to use huge libraries.

I found my 15" 500gig HD and 4 gig ram for 1488usd at best buy. I upgraded the ram to 16gigs, put a 1tb HD in, and it has no problems working with huge libraries and my daw.
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) strong enough for Audio/Video production? Elmzeh Digital Audio 10 Apr 17, 2015 12:20 AM
Wait to buy new Retina 13 macbook pro???? nyli2 MacBook Pro 3 Oct 29, 2013 10:59 PM
Macbook Pro - buy or wait? user78595 MacBook Pro 4 Sep 27, 2013 10:49 AM
Buy a Macbook pro now or wait for new one? Curialover MacBook Pro 29 Aug 19, 2013 06:20 PM
Buy or wait for new MacBook Pro? Beatbeckham MacBook Pro 2 Jul 23, 2013 05:22 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC