Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Why is this so hard to get? The wallpaper is just a proxy for what he's talking about. You can't lay out a bunch of apps spanning his 6-monitor setup in one space, then a completely different set of apps spanning the array on another space, and then switch between those two spaces. That context is lost entirely with this arrangement.

Then why didn't he do that? It would have been easy to do. Why would he purposefully abstract his problem?

And seriously, everyone bitched and moaned about all spaces switching together. They all wanted to do it on an individual screen basis. Now they're apparently getting that and it's wrong all of a sudden? Wow.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
oh my god you cant be serious!
I've been working on 2 monitors since...forever. It simply isn't an option to not be able to expand an app to 2 (or more) windows.
Seriously, I will not be going to Mavericks if this is not fixed.
From HTML, CSS and XML editing to Excel to Logic Pro and FCP. I use two monitors on all my desktops and laptops except the Mac mini in my living room.
This is such a boneheaded stupid thing to do!
And this was to fix the "full screen" option which I bet most of us never use.
I know I only use it when watching a final edit with someone or for the rare times I watch Hulu or Netflix on one of my laptops.

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
Then why didn't he do that? It would have been easy to do. Why would he purposefully abstract his problem?

And seriously, everyone bitched and moaned about all spaces switching together. They all wanted to do it on an individual screen basis. Now they're apparently getting that and it's wrong all of a sudden? Wow.

Don't know the exact reason he didn't, but it could be 1. Assuming intelligence on the part of the viewer and 2. As people have noted, not wanting to show sensitive work to an audience nor set up a specific demo since it was just a quick illustration not designed to go out to an international tech audience.

Not everyone bitched about it. Many did. I didn't. Many others didn't There is no uniformity in macrumors land. I don't like full screen apps killing my secondary monitors. So i didn't use them. I would prefer a grid of spaces (more efficient to move between them) over a row, so complained about that with Lion. But it is a deal killer for me to ONLY be able to have a space per monitor setup. Luckily that doesn't look like it is the case with Mavericks. So this is an improvement, as long as Apple retains the option (which they have not always been known to do).

Noting possible problems with a setup isn't the same as saying either way is wrong. Just points out issues people using certain use scenarios should consider. For that, the maker of the video gets his accent mocked, his set-up derided, and his use scenario ridiculed. Welcome to Macrumors.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Nobody should really need one window to span multiple screens. Still, there should be a button you can hold while dragging a window if you really want it to go across screens.
I use dozens of applications that I NEED to span multiple windows.
Creative Suite, FCP, Logic Pro, Excel, etc.

Who cares if your wallpaper can span multiple monitors? That is nice, and I was doing that on a Windows PC in 1999, but hardly anything to cry about.
I am more concerned that my workflow and the workflow of people in the Graphics dept will be broken if we upgrade.

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012

He made the video for his stock trading buddies on his YouTube channel to tell them of things to come in 10.9, since stock traders tend to use a lot of monitors. He likely assumed a baseline level of intelligence in his audience that's clearly missing in this thread. I saw the video and I immediately got it.

They all wanted to do it on an individual screen basis.

Who is "they"? I would like the option to have individual switching or universal switching, perhaps by holding down a modifier key.

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Am I self-centered when I say 6 monitors hooked up to one Mac is not really your ideal real life demo environment?

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
Am I self-centered when I say 6 monitors hooked up to one Mac is not really your ideal real life demo environment?

It's not an ideal real life demo. It's a demo for stock traders, who routinely use 6 (or more) monitors. Check his YouTube channel.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
honestly, outside of watching movies and playing video games what on earth do you need full screen mode for?
Most of us in video production run a completely separate monitor for the actual video footage. The main monitor is for the timeline, mixer and various pallets.
I actually find full screen mode more annoying than it is useless.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I use dozens of applications that I NEED to span multiple windows.
Creative Suite, FCP, Logic Pro, Excel, etc.

Who cares if your wallpaper can span multiple monitors? That is nice, and I was doing that on a Windows PC in 1999, but hardly anything to cry about.
I am more concerned that my workflow and the workflow of people in the Graphics dept will be broken if we upgrade.

Are you talking about spanning one single window on different screens or multiple windows? I don't know about FCP, but FCE puts everything in its own window, and I usually put the Viewer window on my second monitor. I don't really see how it would work well to put the Viewer in the middle of 2 screens unless there is a really tiny bezel between them.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Shouldn't it have been this way from day one of Lion? 10.6.x had proper multi-screen behavior. It was Lion that broke it. So now, three versions later, they fix what they broke and are listing it as a feature?

I like OSX, but this is just retarded behavior.

----------

honestly, outside of watching movies and playing video games what on earth do you need full screen mode for?
Most of us in video production run a completely separate monitor for the actual video footage. The main monitor is for the timeline, mixer and various pallets.
I actually find full screen mode more annoying than it is useless.

Full screen mode is awesome. Not only is there less waste of screen space, i love swiping to go from one app to another. It's faster and less hand motions than Command-Tab switching.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Hes picking up on flaws using this feature with 6 displays... how many people use 6 displays really?

Im looking forward to this, I can have a movie fullscreened on my TV while browsing on my mac at the same time.

Not many, but for those who do, why make it an issue? if you have two, three or four displays this issue still limits the functionality of a multi screen display.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

The people bitching now aren't the same people. They're the people who were happier with how it was.

The Mountain Lion way and the Mavericks way are both viable implementations. It will be good if Apple keeps the option for either in the release.

Screen management is an incredibly hard problem when you get into the details.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I think dragging from multiple "screens" and multiple "spaces" is different. Here's a video I found of multiple displays in SL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKlb9SgqAg ... It's only dual display but it kinda makes the point. In SL when you had multiple displays they were all extensions of the same space. Now Apple has incorporated the Spaces preference into Multiple Displays so each display is it's own space rather then an extension of the same space. The SL style stills seems to be the best way and it can appeal to those who want there desktop picture to cover all the display at once as one big pic like the guy in the video pointed out.

I suppose if you want to integrate full screen apps it all becomes far more complex and that is what they have tried to address with the Mavericks approach. I think this approach will be what most users want but the ultimate would be a facility to leave some screens as individual spaces and allow groups of screens to be configured as a single space. That would give maximum flexibility for users to define exactly the scheme they want with setups like in the video.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
It's not the wallpaper. It is not being able to switch all monitors at the same time. You can't cover an array of monitors with a single space, and switch between spaces like you can now.

That was my biggest gripe with using multiple screens. I would want to switch on one monitor but it would switch on the other as well and it just got annoying so I just stopped using multiple screens.

So happy they changed it!

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
When working with DAW in arrangement view being able to span it across multiple windows is actually a great feature

Fafnir!!!

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Multi-Monitors & Dim witted Marericks

I have 2 27" monitors. Being able to spread Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, FCP, InDesign across 2 monitors is a godsend! Being FORCED to deal with 1 application/1 screen is simply put.... Dim Witted and a definite deal breaker! I could care less about backgrounds! I just wish somebody designed the windows that are open so you could cover up the background/desktop behind the application that's gloriously spread across 2 monitors.

Heaven help us from programers/focus groups... or is it the marketing guru's?

AusS2000

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
I'm with Fafnir and calaverasgrande. Mavericks solved a problem that I just don't experience, and in the process made multiple monitors far less useable.

I use 2 23" monitors. I work in HTML, javascipt and a development environment called Terascribe. I like to have multiple apps open (BBEdit, Terascribe, and a browser)each with several windows and like to have them available across both monitors.

I like the Menu bar and dock on both monitors. I don't like not being able to have a window span multiple monitors.

I never use Spaces or Full Screen mode.

From the video I get that in pre-release versions you could switch between Snow Leopard and Mavericks display handling. I can't believe they took this out.

Pretty sure someone will come up with a hack to let you switch between modes, and maybe even turn on or off Mavericks features. I very much look forward to it.

And for all those denigrating the video and it's publisher: Get over yourselves. Yeah the guy has a great set up. Being a spoilt brat about it ain't going to change yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.