Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I dual boot nearly every day and use my OS X side for work and Bootcamp with Windoz 7 for gaming. I'm planning on picking up the new 27" and want to know if it's possible to 1) have the Bootcamp/W7 partition on an external SSD, 2) still get top performance, and 3) which to use, TB or USB3, and finally, 4) what can I expect this to cost?

Thanks, I appreciae any input.

BastiFH

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I'm sorry to disappoint you..

Couple of weeks ago I had the same idea, went online for a nice new Seagate GoFlex Adapter to use it as an external TB drive - great piece of tech I have to say.
Anyway, as I tried to setup a partition I had to realise that external devices are not supported for bootcamp :( It doesn't show up for partitioning.
I then went on to search the net and came across dozens of questions about external bootcamp settings.. in the apple discussion forums - none with a happy ending ;-(

I kept the GoFlex for the future.. never give up hope :D

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
It even looks like bootcamping the fusion drive will be a hassle too.

I plan on just dealing with the 1tb harddrive or hoping they have a 256gb ssd option.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It even looks like bootcamping the fusion drive will be a hassle too.

I plan on just dealing with the 1tb harddrive or hoping they have a 256gb ssd option.

Shouldn't be a hassle ... Apple says it will install on the hard drive with BootCamp.

With a bit of creative work, you can put it on the SSD too, but you will want something larger than the base 128GB. I am running that way now on a Mac Mini.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks BastiFH, I figured that was the case but was hoping anyway.

I think I'll skip the Fusion drive, I'll spend the $$ on the larger drive instead, I don't really need it for the work I do and for gaming I don't think I'd have really noticed that much of a difference anyway.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I'm sorry to disappoint you..
Anyway, as I tried to setup a partition I had to realise that external devices are not supported for bootcamp :( It doesn't show up for partitioning.
I then went on to search the net and came across dozens of questions about external bootcamp settings.. in the apple discussion forums - none with a happy ending ;-(

I kept the GoFlex for the future.. never give up hope :D

Have you seen this thread?

Technically you still need a partition on your internal drive, but hopefully its small size is a reasonable compromise for you.

Dween

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
London, UK
I've just boot camped my Thunderbolt SSD.

Was fairly simple, just time consuming.

Used WinClone to clone my current Boot Camp.

Booted into OS X on the SSD, then formatted the internal drive.

Partitioned the SSD for Boot Camp

Used Winclone to put Win7 back on

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
There is no need to even use bootcamp for anything else other then drivers if its a external or separate drive. Google rEFIt and it should be the answer to your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.