Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s-o-teric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Boston
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to sell my late 2008 unibody macbook and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where I should price it. I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago and have upgraded the RAM and HDD to a SSD.

Here are the specs:

Late 2008 Unibody Macbook
2ghz Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB
8GB RAM (Crucial Brand)
128GB SSD (Samsung 830 Series)
OS X 10.8.2
New Battery

Thanks for the help!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say.....

with the upgrades $700-750 tops. Can go up based in no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machine.

If selling through an online site factor in shipping costs/fees. Also consider, in the second-hand market, many times is better be price-wise than hardware-wise, because many people dont get the real value of upgrades, only the $$ figure

:):apple:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to sell my late 2008 unibody macbook and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where I should price it. I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago and have upgraded the RAM and HDD to a SSD.

Here are the specs:

2ghz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM (Crucial Brand)
OS X 10.8.2
New Battery

Thanks for the help!

The unibody goes for ~$300 to low $500 range. Most in the mid $400s based on eBay. 8GB RAM cost ~$35 new and Samsung 830 128GB is around $90-100 new. The range you should expect is mid $500s to low $600s. Maybe mid $600s if you are lucky. The computer is old and C2D seems ancient. However I don't think you should expect $700-750.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hey everyone,

Here are the specs:

2ghz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM (Crucial Brand)
OS X 10.8.2
New Battery

Thanks for the help!

I know you've already received some advice on pricing, but you'll also have to reinstall Snow Leopard since that was OS that came with the machine and Lion and ML both require an AppleID to download and install it. Because of this, the new owner won't be able to install updates to the OS because they'll have to have your AppleID to do so. The SSD is a legitimate value increaser but I would think no more than $550(especially since those are now less than $100 brand new). It can also be more valuable if you still have the original box and packaging.

Good luck with the sale.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I know you've already received some advice on pricing, but you'll also have to reinstall Snow Leopard since that was OS that came with the machine and Lion and ML both require an AppleID to download and install it. Because of this, the new owner won't be able to install updates to the OS because they'll have to have your AppleID to do so. The SSD is a legitimate value increaser but I would think no more than $550(especially since those are now less than $100 brand new). It can also be more valuable if you still have the original box and packaging.

Good luck with the sale.

Actually, 10.7 can work because it doesnt rely on the apple id to install updates, only to purchase it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Actually, 10.7 can work because it doesnt rely on the apple id to install updates, only to purchase it.

Yes, but I think it knows your Apple ID. I would reformat the drive/drives and sell the computer with just the original install disk and nothing on the drives at all. Installing the OS asks to setup a user account and that should be all up to the new owner.

Dale

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, but I think it knows your Apple ID. I would reformat the drive/drives and sell the computer with just the original install disk and nothing on the drives at all. Installing the OS asks to setup a user account and that should be all up to the new owner.

Dale

Just do command-Q that way the buyer can setup their account info.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

That might be true of the OS itself, but I don't know if that's completely accurate because I bought a MBP from my campus bookstore and wasn't able to update any of the apps that were included with the OS(iLife mostly). When I tried to update those apps, I was told numerous times that I had to sign in with the AppleID I used to purchase them. It wasn't a huge deal because I was able to clone the OS from my iMac and then update the applications that way, but for someone that might not be able to do that; it could be a deal breaker.

s-o-teric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Boston
Thanks for the help everyone.

Honestly, I was thinking $550, so it's great to hear that it's worth it to try ~$650.

I didn't even think about the new user needing an apple ID for Mountain Lion, guess I'll just put Snow Leopard back on it.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.