Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
In a completely silent room there's the FAINTEST hiss from the Millenia CT, but I'd say it is pretty much the same amount as the MM-1s which is hardly anything at all.

No doubt the MM-1s are better desktop speakers while the CT are better TV speakers, but I guess that's a given. I wonder if the Millenia CT would sound as good as the MM-1 if I got a DAC for it?

I am considering getting the Paradigm over the MM-1 though just so I can use it for both my computer and my TV. The quality is still pretty dang good and the bass sounds and feels really good. I decided to pass on the A2s because I don't like how big the speakers themselves are, it doesn't fit with my furniture very well.

Last edited:

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
In a completely silent room there's the FAINTEST hiss from the Millenia CT, but I'd say it is pretty much the same amount as the MM-1s. However for me the MM-1s hiss is only audible if you are 1-2 feet away from the speakers really trying to listen for it. It's really insignificant in either unit.

I can't quite understand your conclusion with the CT speakers. When you say that the "MM-1s hiss is only audible if you are 1-2 feet away from the speakers really trying to listen for it", are you implying that the CT speakers' hiss is audible not only at 1-2 feet but even further away?

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
The hiss is the same for both units and pretty insignificant from my experience. People complaining about it either have sensitive hearing or faulty units.

..or I have bad hearing, but if that means built in hiss-protection, so be it :)

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I'm not sure, sorry :( I have no hissing problems.

As much as I like the MM-1's clarity, I am starting to like the Millenia CT more... some music really needs that extra bass from the subwoofer and sometimes it just feels like the MM-1 is lacking something. I also started plugging the CT in through my Apogee ONE now, supposedly it's supposed to function as a DAC and make it clearer?

Not really sure, but I do like the Paradigm CT setup a lot for my desktop. I'm having a surprisingly hard time deciding which I like better though.

Last edited:

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I'm not sure, sorry :( I have no hissing problems.

Not sure I understand. Previously you said "I can hear the hiss".

As much as I like the MM-1's clarity, I am starting to like the Millenia CT more... some music really needs that extra bass from the subwoofer and sometimes it just feels like the MM-1 is lacking something. I also started plugging the CT in through my Apogee ONE now, supposedly it's supposed to function as a DAC and make it clearer?

Not really sure, but I do like the Paradigm CT setup a lot for my desktop. I'm having a surprisingly hard time deciding which I like better though.

If you can turn off the subwoofer, do the CT's satellites sound as good as the MM-1?

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
There's no hissing problem. Hearing a super faint hiss when your ear is basically up to the speaker isn't a "problem" by any means. It's a super trivial issue and is basically non-existant, at least for me. I don't know how else to emphasize how insignificant the "hiss" is; the focus is really on the quality of these speakers.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
So I ended up sticking with the MM-1s. I found out that using the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX you can actually have a sub plugged in with the MM-1s. Right now I'm using the Millenia CT speakers with the MM-1s and it's amazing. I will be retuning the CTs and have a Corsair SP2500 system for the sub on the way.

I spent hours testing the Millenia CT, MM-1, and Focal XS 2.1 units. In the end I still found the MM-1 to be the best quality, though lacking a little bass. Once I found out I could use them with a sub, I immediately picked them up and have been enjoying the best listening experience I've ever had :D

Shame for those who are having hissing problems.....

Htin

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
So I ended up sticking with the MM-1s. I found out that using the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX you can actually have a sub plugged in with the MM-1s. Right now I'm using the Millenia CT speakers with the MM-1s and it's amazing. I will be retuning the CTs and have a Corsair SP2500 system for the sub on the way.

I spent hours testing the Millenia CT, MM-1, and Focal XS 2.1 units. In the end I still found the MM-1 to be the best quality, though lacking a little bass. Once I found out I could use them with a sub, I immediately picked them up and have been enjoying the best listening experience I've ever had :D

Shame for those who are having hissing problems.....

how do you link the MM1s with a sub???

Here's my setup...

302099_497702926942005_1391235260_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.