Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I went to see the ipad mini today and I was pretty impressed. Browsing the web, using pages, etc. It held up very well.

The only think I can think of that it would suck at would be splashtop. Has anyone actually tried using this on an ipad mini yet?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I went to see the ipad mini today and I was pretty impressed. Browsing the web, using pages, etc. It held up very well.

The only think I can think of that it would suck at would be splashtop. Has anyone actually tried using this on an ipad mini yet?

Used logmein and it works fine

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
But was it still usable?

Why wouldn't it be? I have splashtop on iPad 1 and iPad Mini. Not much different besides iPad mini having a smaller screen. Then again, I have splashtop running on my iPhone and 7" android tablet, which has even a smaller screen.

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Why wouldn't it be? I have splashtop on iPad 1 and iPad Mini. Not much different besides iPad mini having a smaller screen. Then again, I have splashtop running on my iPhone and 7" android tablet, which has even a smaller screen.

Totally agree... don't have my Mini yet, but I plan on using Splashtop on it and expect it to work fine...

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Has anybody actually had any practical use with Splashtop? I think its cool, but after trying to actually do some work on it with a full sized iPad, I found hard to make a desktop (a laggy one at that) work well with a touch screen interface.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Has anybody actually had any practical use with Splashtop? I think its cool, but after trying to actually do some work on it with a full sized iPad, I found hard to make a desktop (a laggy one at that) work well with a touch screen interface.

The iPad mini's obviously smaller screen will make tapping bitmapped screen elements harder, obviously. So if this is a key usage scenario for you, you may want to reconsider the mini unless you're ok with pinch & zoom when necessary.

marklee2012

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Splashtop is awesome on iPad mini

Splashtop is the best remote desktop app for iPad & iPad mini.... fastest and simplest to use

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US

It's good if the host machine is running Windows 8.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London

I played through the entirety of The Witcher 1 on splashtop on my ipad 2. Also played the easier early bits of Diablo 3, until you get up to the second difficulty when the controls aren't good enough.

Also Football Manager worked a treat on it too, albeit the interface was slightly fiddly

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I have been using Splashtop with my iPad mini and it's definitely usable although you might have to do a little pinch to zooming that you don't have to do on the full screen iPad.

I think Splashtop is one of the most essential aps to own. Well worth the money

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
I use Splashtop all the time with my iPad Mini to connect to both Windows and OSX. It works great. Once you get the little nuances and gestures down, it is very usable.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I use Logmein and it works fine. I'm not sure if splashtop does this, but Logmein can change the remote desktop's resolution to match the iPad's. It saves on having to pinch and zoom around so much. I use it to check in on my headless PC's that run Boinc projects 24/7. It's a nice way to keep an eye on temps, task progress, and stuff like that.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
yup splashtop is awesome!! I really havent used it much but just thr fact that i can access my desktop from anywhere is a great feature!!

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
The iPad mini's obviously smaller screen will make tapping bitmapped screen elements harder, obviously. So if this is a key usage scenario for you, you may want to reconsider the mini unless you're ok with pinch & zoom when necessary.

I don't have a mini but a iPad Retina...its useless on the big screen I can't imagine the mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.