Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

iPad mini and splashtop

I went to see the ipad mini today and I was pretty impressed. Browsing the web, using pages, etc. It held up very well.

The only think I can think of that it would suck at would be splashtop. Has anyone actually tried using this on an ipad mini yet?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
I went to see the ipad mini today and I was pretty impressed. Browsing the web, using pages, etc. It held up very well.

The only think I can think of that it would suck at would be splashtop. Has anyone actually tried using this on an ipad mini yet?
Used logmein and it works fine
dhy8386 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

But was it still usable?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But was it still usable?
I did logmein as well and it's useable. You might be doing more pinching to zoom in but definitely useable.
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
hyteckit

Quote:
But was it still usable?
Why wouldn't it be? I have splashtop on iPad 1 and iPad Mini. Not much different besides iPad mini having a smaller screen. Then again, I have splashtop running on my iPhone and 7" android tablet, which has even a smaller screen.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:20 PM   #6
ninermac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Why wouldn't it be? I have splashtop on iPad 1 and iPad Mini. Not much different besides iPad mini having a smaller screen. Then again, I have splashtop running on my iPhone and 7" android tablet, which has even a smaller screen.
Totally agree... don't have my Mini yet, but I plan on using Splashtop on it and expect it to work fine...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Booji
macrumors 6502

Has anybody actually had any practical use with Splashtop? I think its cool, but after trying to actually do some work on it with a full sized iPad, I found hard to make a desktop (a laggy one at that) work well with a touch screen interface.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
Has anybody actually had any practical use with Splashtop? I think its cool, but after trying to actually do some work on it with a full sized iPad, I found hard to make a desktop (a laggy one at that) work well with a touch screen interface.
The iPad mini's obviously smaller screen will make tapping bitmapped screen elements harder, obviously. So if this is a key usage scenario for you, you may want to reconsider the mini unless you're ok with pinch & zoom when necessary.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #9
marklee2012
macrumors newbie

Smile Splashtop is awesome on iPad mini

Splashtop is the best remote desktop app for iPad & iPad mini.... fastest and simplest to use
marklee2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:14 AM   #10
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's good if the host machine is running Windows 8.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:20 AM   #11
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I played through the entirety of The Witcher 1 on splashtop on my ipad 2. Also played the easier early bits of Diablo 3, until you get up to the second difficulty when the controls aren't good enough.

Also Football Manager worked a treat on it too, albeit the interface was slightly fiddly
THFourteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:59 AM   #12
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

I have been using Splashtop with my iPad mini and it's definitely usable although you might have to do a little pinch to zooming that you don't have to do on the full screen iPad.

I think Splashtop is one of the most essential aps to own. Well worth the money
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:35 PM   #13
bit_bucket
macrumors regular

I use Splashtop all the time with my iPad Mini to connect to both Windows and OSX. It works great. Once you get the little nuances and gestures down, it is very usable.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:55 PM   #14
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

I use Logmein and it works fine. I'm not sure if splashtop does this, but Logmein can change the remote desktop's resolution to match the iPad's. It saves on having to pinch and zoom around so much. I use it to check in on my headless PC's that run Boinc projects 24/7. It's a nice way to keep an eye on temps, task progress, and stuff like that.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Steevie
Banned

yup splashtop is awesome!! I really havent used it much but just thr fact that i can access my desktop from anywhere is a great feature!!
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Booji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
The iPad mini's obviously smaller screen will make tapping bitmapped screen elements harder, obviously. So if this is a key usage scenario for you, you may want to reconsider the mini unless you're ok with pinch & zoom when necessary.
I don't have a mini but a iPad Retina...its useless on the big screen I can't imagine the mini
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:51 PM   #17
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't have a mini but a iPad Retina...its useless on the big screen I can't imagine the mini
For me Splashtop is very effective on the iPad retina. On a smaller screen like the Mini it would need to be zoomed in
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad