Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takedowncoach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
I know, I know...I made the mistake of installing Mackeeper.

After it ran a scan of my computer, it looked fishy enough that I removed it from my macbook.

It is now running very slow, and I get the spinning rainbow quite often.

I opened up console and it is giving me this error message over and over:

1/28/13 11:04:49 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[176] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[2926]) Exited with exit code: 1
1/28/13 11:04:49 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[176] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
1/28/13 11:04:59 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[176] (com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper[2927]) posix_spawn("/Applications/MacKeeper.app/Contents/Resources/MacKeeper Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/MacKeeper Helper", ...): No such file or directory

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Go into /Library/Launchagents/ or /Library/LaunchDeamons and look for the file com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist and remove it, restart and you are done.

You can unload it without a restart but a restart is easier.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know, I know...I made the mistake of installing Mackeeper.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
Yes. Completely uninstall MacKeeper. As you can see, it's useless and potentially problematic software.

Delete any occurrences of "MacKeeper" or "Zeobit" from the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/
Then restart your Mac and follow these instructions:

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes. Completely uninstall MacKeeper. As you can see, it's useless and potentially problematic software. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Can we stickie something? I know arn used to allow ads from Mackeeper, but I don't see thr ads obviously....This piece of software IMO is being sold under false pretences, has caused many issues here and on other sites.

I guess It comes down to whether or not it's still on the ad list.

takedowncoach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Thanks

Thanks for your help-and so fast!

I followed your instructions and rebooted.

Seems to be running much smoother. I checked console and there are no more error messages.

I'm in a much better mood now.

Thanks again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for your help-and so fast!

I followed your instructions and rebooted.

Seems to be running much smoother. I checked console and there are no more error messages.

I'm in a much better mood now.

Thanks again.
Glad you got it sorted! For future reference, you don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.

takedowncoach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
GGJstudios

Thanks for the suggestions, especially regarding the clearing of caches.

I had figured that cleaning up the caches would improve speed of my machine-I'll leave that alone.

I am running low on space. I guess it is time to take some of my music and movies to an external drive for storage.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a newbie.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions, especially regarding the clearing of caches.

I had figured that cleaning up the caches would improve speed of my machine-I'll leave that alone.

I am running low on space. I guess it is time to take some of my music and movies to an external drive for storage.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a newbie.
This may help: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

If you're having performance issues, this may help: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

And this: Helpful Information for Any Mac User

takedowncoach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
GGJstudios

Thanks for the tips. I have been hesitant to delete files, not knowing for sure if I needed them or not.

I'll go through your list and free up some space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.