Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:41 AM   #1
asimmd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Do I Buy a Mac Mini or Not

HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
asimmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
lcseds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC, USA
Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
__________________
Late 2013 13" i5 rMBP, 128GB iPad Air, 64GB iPhone 5, 2012 mac Mini, Apple TV, Pissed wife.
lcseds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors 68000
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
I haven't had any issues either. I am using the included HDMI to DVI adapter.
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter & Instagram: @Amato27
Dallas, Texas
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
k.alexander
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
That-Guy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Got my Mini about 3 hours ago and not had a problem yet *fingers crossed*

Running HDMI to HDMI to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor
__________________
Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.5GHz Core i5 - 16gb RAM - 120gb SSD + 500gb HDD
iPhone 5S | iPad Air | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Airport Express 3rd Gen
Website | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Garden4Gods
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
k.alexander
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Garden4Gods
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
Ok, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea of how it would look on my 50" Pioneer KRP-500A @ roughly 8 feet viewing distance.
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
think of it as a slow blink of the eyes. I am getting 2 to 4 a day they come last 1 or 2 or 3 seconds then right back to where I was.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC