Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:41 AM   #1
asimmd
macrumors member

Do I Buy a Mac Mini or Not

HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
asimmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
lcseds
macrumors 6502

Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
I haven't had any issues either. I am using the included HDMI to DVI adapter.
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
k.alexander
macrumors member

I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Got my Mini about 3 hours ago and not had a problem yet *fingers crossed*

Running HDMI to HDMI to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
k.alexander
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Garden4Gods
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
Ok, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea of how it would look on my 50" Pioneer KRP-500A @ roughly 8 feet viewing distance.
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
think of it as a slow blink of the eyes. I am getting 2 to 4 a day they come last 1 or 2 or 3 seconds then right back to where I was.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini