Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eklof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,
I use the mini as HTPC and have a receiver with optical input. My old 2007 mac mini booted up and immediately after bootup the receiver switched from analog to optical in the display. And then stayed that way all the time.

The new and shiny 2012 mac mini behaves slightly different. It seem to stay analog until there is something playing, then there is a 1-2 second lag until the receiver switched over to optical and start sounding :)

I assume this is by design, but why? Must be mW to save so power saving can't be it. I can probably live with it but I would rather activate it all the time.

Does anyone know anything about this?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hi,
I use the mini as HTPC and have a receiver with optical input. My old 2007 mac mini booted up and immediately after bootup the receiver switched from analog to optical in the display. And then stayed that way all the time.

The new and shiny 2012 mac mini behaves slightly different. It seem to stay analog until there is something playing, then there is a 1-2 second lag until the receiver switched over to optical and start sounding :)

I assume this is by design, but why? Must be mW to save so power saving can't be it. I can probably live with it but I would rather activate it all the time.

Does anyone know anything about this?

i use a usb dac sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.