Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psha85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Hi all-

I used to have a PC and had synced my iPhone 4S with the iTunes on that computer but recently switched to a Macbook Air. I hadn't synced the iPhone with that iTunes yet because I was still trying to get my music transferred over. Finally, that's done now so I would like to sync it. I only wanted to sync music so when I went to do that yesterday, I got this message: "This iPhone is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?
An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library."

I'm not sure what this means so I didn't sync it yet. My question is: if I only want to transfer the music from this iTunes to the phone, would it erase all my apps, info, etc as well, or only replace the music that's currently on the phone (which is more or less the same)? If it would erase everything else with it, would I need to sync my apps, photos, contacts, etc to iTunes? I never did that in the past since I use iCloud for backups but just used iTunes to update music.

If doing this will result in erasing everything as I currently have it, would it be possible to update only the music when I get the iPhone 5 (it's arriving in a couple weeks) after downloading the rest of my stuff from iCloud? I've done this with every new iPhone and never had a problem with it so I'm not sure why all of a sudden this alert is coming up and what it exactly means.

Please advise how I should proceed. Thanks so much and apologies for so many questions!

-Pooja

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.