Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I quite like the black user interface--it just seems to get out of the way, very clean and uncluttered. It was a little abrupt using it the first time, coming from an older version PS with the light grey UI, but even PS has moved to a darker interface now.
It is probably nice enough - The problem is I can't tell the difference at all, when working. When am I clicking the image, when am I clicking the window frame, and when is I clicking a button? It is just *black* everywhere. I have a 27" iMac, and I always turn down the light so my eyes don't hurt, so it is REALLY a problem.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can use Ps efficiently but I can't understand Pixelmator. I do however like the fact that they talk unlike Adobe and Apple.

^ This. I have Pixelmator v1 from a bundle purchase and I just didn't continue to use it only because I am so used to PS. However, this is really how companies should act.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
It is probably nice enough - The problem is I can't tell the difference at all, when working. When am I clicking the image, when am I clicking the window frame, and when is I clicking a button? It is just *black* everywhere. I have a 27" iMac, and I always turn down the light so my eyes don't hurt, so it is REALLY a problem.

? Do you have a black wallpaper too? I don't understand how it can all be so low contrast. Perhaps you could share a screenshot. I have the brightness turned down on my iMac (not ALL the way though) and a mid-value wallpaper. I can clearly see the window borders, palettes, etc.

(Don't judge, just roughed some things out...)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-07 at 11.28.04 AM.JPG
    Screen shot 2012-12-07 at 11.28.04 AM.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 79

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
^ This. I have Pixelmator v1 from a bundle purchase and I just didn't continue to use it only because I am so used to PS. However, this is really how companies should act.

It was fits & starts for me in the beginning until I started doing Pixelmator tutorials from various sites, because I was used to Photoshop too. I don't have a problem going between the two anymore, although Photoshop looks a bit weird now.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
It turns out, the newest Nvidia Geforce graphics card drivers in OS X 10.8.2 are causing the issue, and Pixelmator is working with Apple to resolve the issue.

Whew. Good to know they've found the root cause.

It's a really nasty bug: no warning, instant black screen followed by reboot.
Happened 3 times yesterday. Major pain.

Still, I'll never go back to that hideous Adobe bloatware.

Aug 26, 2008
Pixelmator is such a steaming pile. I tried to use it as as advertised, the hipper, faster Photoshop replacement.

Not only is it not even close to Photoshop, it just doesn't work properly on so many basic tasks that it's silly. On top of that, the guys that run it have completed aped Apple's marketing style (over the top secrecy and silence).

I don't understand why people use it. It is incredibly poor. I really think it appeals to people who think they are clever for not wanting to use Adobe, but PS CS6 stomps all over Pixelmator. It's just an embarrassing thing at this point.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
marc11

I remember that particular bug. AFAIK it was more related to switching between the integrated and discrete graphics. It is solved by a logic board replacement. However, for me, it was never the dedicated card that caused the crashing, it was the integrated.

Oh really, I thought it was the discrete for some reason.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Oh really, I thought it was the discrete for some reason.

I think more people had issues with the discrete rather than integrated. For me if I used gfxcardstatus and switched a few times to the integrated, it would eventually cause a black screen when waking from sleep (believe 3 times). I know that when I forced the discrete GPU and never switched I never had an issue.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
? Do you have a black wallpaper too? I don't understand how it can all be so low contrast. Perhaps you could share a screenshot. I have the brightness turned down on my iMac (not ALL the way though) and a mid-value wallpaper. I can clearly see the window borders, palettes, etc.

(Don't judge, just roughed some things out...)
Just look at the opacity slider in your screenshot. I almost can't make it out at all, so I wouldn't know when it was at 0% or 100%.

Also, take a new window and give it a black background (Which I use quite often). You can't see where the picture ends and the toolbar starts. Then do multiple windows and let them overlap. --> Instant chaos.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
How could they tell the difference between the drivers crashing and Pixelmator just crashing randomly all the time?
By looking at files, debugging on their systems and seeing that certain crashes only manifested on these NVIDIA cards, I'd say.

Not only is it not even close to Photoshop
And not even on price is is close to Photoshop!
Pixelmator costs 15$, while Photoshop costs 500$ (plus taxes).

PS CS6 stomps all over Pixelmator
What were expecting when comparing a 15$ app to a 500$ app? :confused:

I don't understand why people use it
Don't make a fool of yourself ;)

Pixelmator may have fewer bells and whistles compared to Photoshop - but it's a solid graphics editing app that's priced competitively. For many it'll do (almost) anything they want it to do - at a small fraction of Photshop's price.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I can use Ps efficiently but I can't understand Pixelmator. I do however like the fact that they talk unlike Adobe and Apple.

Adobe talks. Their engineers respond on their forums and maintain blogs. They may be a pain in the ass at times, but there's no reason to compare them to Apple's levels of silence.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Adobe talks. Their engineers respond on their forums and maintain blogs. They may be a pain in the ass at times, but there's no reason to compare them to Apple's levels of silence.

You're right they talk more than Apple, but that in itself doesn't say much

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Just look at the opacity slider in your screenshot. I almost can't make it out at all, so I wouldn't know when it was at 0% or 100%.

Also, take a new window and give it a black background (Which I use quite often). You can't see where the picture ends and the toolbar starts. Then do multiple windows and let them overlap. --> Instant chaos.

I don't have difficulty viewing things like the opacity slider, for one thing the indicator dot is greyish with white highlights and it states 100% in white to the right, --pretty contrasty. Yes, I can see you might have a bit of difficulty with the window if the interior is black, although there is still a difference on my screen between the two. The tool bar at the top is not black black, it's a little lighter. If you're running an older version of PS then yes, you'll have the contrast you want, not so much with CS6.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 1.13.23 PM.JPG
    Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 1.13.23 PM.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 62

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
By looking at files, debugging on their systems and seeing that certain crashes only manifested on these NVIDIA cards, I'd say.

And not even on price is is close to Photoshop!
Pixelmator costs 15$, while Photoshop costs 500$ (plus taxes).

What were expecting when comparing a 15$ app to a 500$ app? :confused:

Don't make a fool of yourself ;)

Pixelmator may have fewer bells and whistles compared to Photoshop - but it's a solid graphics editing app that's priced competitively. For many it'll do (almost) anything they want it to do - at a small fraction of Photshop's price.

So is GIMP and in many ways it's easier to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.