Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:11 AM   #51
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
"there's no way this OS in its current and foreseeable state will ever be as useful as my 5-year-old clunker of a Dell laptop (or Mac for that matter)."

Thats an interesting statement...would you mind defining what you mean when you say "useful"...?
Basically anything beyond social media and entertainment. I'm a student in the sciences and the only notable advantage it has provided me with is the ability to use e-textbooks and read primary source literature without wasting paper or getting a headache. Of course, there's something to be said about the entertainment value, as I'm glued to my tablet a lot for web surfing and the like, but true productivity value isn't there yet.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:03 AM   #52
Borjan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Basically anything beyond social media and entertainment. I'm a student in the sciences and the only notable advantage it has provided me with is the ability to use e-textbooks and read primary source literature without wasting paper or getting a headache. Of course, there's something to be said about the entertainment value, as I'm glued to my tablet a lot for web surfing and the like, but true productivity value isn't there yet.
Absolutely not.

Today I started writing up a protocol for an experiment on Pages using my MBA. As usual I take my ipad mini everywhere with me, and whilst out between laboratories I bumped into someone who I realised I could discuss my protocol with. Out came the mini from my pocket, and we went through it there and then in the corridor, ammeding things on the fly. I sat back down on my desk, and thanks to iCloud syncing I was good to keep working on it on my MBA straight away.

If thats not productivity I don't know what is.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:06 AM   #53
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post
How about a post pc OS? with a file browser! and multi tasking. puh-lease
Oh, you mean Android?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:49 AM   #54
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by here2rock View Post
iPad 4 is quicker, the way you can tell is looking at large PDF files. It will render the fonts a lot quicker than iPad 3.
I read a lot of PDFs and I own a 3. I tested PDFs on a 4 at the Apple store and was really impressed at how much faster the rendering was.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 PM   #55
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjan View Post
Absolutely not.

Today I started writing up a protocol for an experiment on Pages using my MBA. As usual I take my ipad mini everywhere with me, and whilst out between laboratories I bumped into someone who I realised I could discuss my protocol with. Out came the mini from my pocket, and we went through it there and then in the corridor, ammeding things on the fly. I sat back down on my desk, and thanks to iCloud syncing I was good to keep working on it on my MBA straight away.

If thats not productivity I don't know what is.
Very good example of how the iPad doesn't have to be as powerful as a desktop/laptop, or have the exact same features/functions, in order to increase our productivity. And also of how the iPad isn't a replacement for the traditional computer, but an extension to them. I wish Jobs hadn't used the term post-PC, that just gives people the wrong impression of what the iPad is about.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:11 PM   #56
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Maybe $399 at Walmart will change some folks mind about the 4th gen 16gb. That price screams IMHO.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #57
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

A tip for you guys who read alot of pdfs on a ipad 1/2/3, try the kindle app. It is so much faster at rendering and scrolling in pdfs than ibooks.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad