Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain 0bvious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, I bought a Gevey Ultra S for my iPhone 4s and cannot get my MMS to work on ST. I have tried everything. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. I am currently running ios 5.0.1 (JB) & went the Gevey route because (1) I'm not an At&T customer (bought phone on eBay) & (2) I've thought about using an unlock service on eBay but don't want to upgrade my ios since there is no current untethered JB. I have tried different APN settings to no avail, including what ST says to enter.

Maybe I went about installing Gevey wrong? I could not find the instructions (there was an error page not found) for ios 5.0.1 - 5.1.1. I don't know what else to do :confused: My husband jumped ship & went with the Galaxy S2/Android & I am on the fence at this point. While I love my iPhone, I am aggravated that I can't send or receive MMS from anyone besides those that have (& is enabled) iMessage & would like to resolve this issue rather than go with the other option & jump ship.

If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

~ Sara

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I bought a Gevey Ultra S for my iPhone 4s and cannot get my MMS to work on ST. I have tried everything. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. I am currently running ios 5.0.1 (JB) & went the Gevey route because (1) I'm not an At&T customer (bought phone on eBay) & (2) I've thought about using an unlock service on eBay but don't want to upgrade my ios since there is no current untethered JB. I have tried different APN settings to no avail, including what ST says to enter.

Maybe I went about installing Gevey wrong? I could not find the instructions (there was an error page not found) for ios 5.0.1 - 5.1.1. I don't know what else to do :confused: My husband jumped ship & went with the Galaxy S2/Android & I am on the fence at this point. While I love my iPhone, I am aggravated that I can't send or receive MMS from anyone besides those that have (& is enabled) iMessage & would like to resolve this issue rather than go with the other option & jump ship.

If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

~ Sara

Yes this is very common with the Gevey and R-Sim interpopser unlocks. What's happening is using the SMSCnumber from the original carrier instead of copying over from the new sim. Often times this is caused by having an out of date sim card... How old is your sim? I would suggest getting a new sim card and that should fix the issue! Hope this helps :)

Captain 0bvious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Well, I had bought a sim cutter & cut my original one down & thought too, that maybe MMS wasn't working because it was an old sim card. So I bought a micro Sim from Straight Talks website about 2months ago or so.

Do you know if just inserting the Gevey Ultra S w/ ST sim would work - or should work or is there other steps I could do to see if it'd work?

Thanks again!

~ Sara

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Well, I had bought a sim cutter & cut my original one down & thought too, that maybe MMS wasn't working because it was an old sim card. So I bought a micro Sim from Straight Talks website about 2months ago or so.

Do you know if just inserting the Gevey Ultra S w/ ST sim would work - or should work or is there other steps I could do to see if it'd work?

Thanks again!

~ Sara

It should work without any other settings. I believe straight talk uses At&t's towers right? You could try setting up your cellular apn settings by connecting to wifi on your phone and going to unlockit.co.nz and installing the apn profile for straight talk. If that doesn't work let me know.

Captain 0bvious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
It should work without any other settings. I believe straight talk uses At&t's towers right? You could try setting up your cellular apn settings by connecting to wifi on your phone and going to unlockit.co.nz and installing the apn profile for straight talk. If that doesn't work let me know.

Yes, we use At&t towers.

And I have that installed, as well as the tether me (repo) app with ST settings from their website. I have tried both the http address & the IP address for the MMS proxy. The really *weird* thing is, I can do it one way, restart my phone & can send pictures to non iPhone (iMessage) people, but within a couple hours, sometimes the next afternoon it stops working & I can no longer send or receive MMS pictures from non iPhone people.I will go and put in the opposite (either Http or IP addy) & restart phone & it works again... I mean, at least this is *some* progress, I wasn't even getting this before I purchased the Gevey sim.

I called ST & their customer service rep told us what to put in what fields & to restart & said it should work, but does not. Next time I called, they said the iPhone had to be unlocked. And from what I researched, it looked like the Gevey Ultra S would work. Now, I'm not extremely tech savvy when it comes to this stuff, but even when I asked a friend of mine he didn't know what to do either. He suggested SAM, but by the looks of it (based on what is says on the iClarified link he sent me) that no longer works.

It's working momentarily, but I'm sure within the next 12-24 hours it won't be. I can chime in, in the morning after I get up, I can do a screen shot of settings, I will try whatever, including posting settings of needed.... I know it sounds bad, but I'm just desperate for my phone to work like it *should*

Thanks for all your help

~ Sara

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
If your device is jailbroken, cydia should have your shsh blobs backed up. Using redsn0w, you can stitch the shsh blobs into the firmware package and restore your iPhone to iOS 5.x. I've never done it before or had to but I think your device has to be in DFU or pwned DFU mode in order to restore with the custom firmware.

You could do some googling about using redsn0w to stitch the shsh blobs to downgrade.

To retrieve your shsh blobs from cydia's server, you can use tinyumbrella (recommended) or redsn0w. Just make sure you check the box to retrieve from cydia's server to get shsh blobs apple is no longer signing (basically, older iOS versions)

Captain 0bvious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
If your device is jailbroken, cydia should have your shsh blobs backed up. Using redsn0w, you can stitch the shsh blobs into the firmware package and restore your iPhone to iOS 5.x. I've never done it before or had to but I think your device has to be in DFU or pwned DFU mode in order to restore with the custom firmware.

You could do some googling about using redsn0w to stitch the shsh blobs to downgrade.

To retrieve your shsh blobs from cydia's server, you can use tinyumbrella (recommended) or redsn0w. Just make sure you check the box to retrieve from cydia's server to get shsh blobs apple is no longer signing (basically, older iOS versions)

I'd really rather not go about backing up the whole shsh blobs thing, I am scared I may mess something up & be forced to upgrade :(

I *wonder* if maybe the Gevey interposer I have, either isn't the right one or require more steps. The one I purchased is a GSM WCDMA CDMA ...which from what I understood is a multi-network interposer. But I was also under the impression that it would automatically work with at&t branded iPhone 4s running 5.0.1, Firmware 1.0.14. I'm confused though, would I still need the Cydia Source furiousMod? Or is that just for CDMA? All I know is when I put my ST sim in with the interposer, it searches for signal & then I get a popup that asks me to "accept or Cancel" the Unlocking....any ideas on whether this should work fine or do you all still think that it could be my ios or sim card

*Side Note* I sent a picture to my husbands phone (Galaxy S2) at 1:21am & come 8am when I got up, I tried to send another to see if it still worked & it did not.

Sorry for so many questions, I am just at a loss & have no clue what else to do :( I *really* appreciate all the insight (Thank You!!!)

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Wouldn't I have to restore/update through iTunes? I can't afford to do that & not be able to JB my phone as I have Straight Talk.

You don't have to restore. It is suggested because people want to see the "unlocked" message in iTunes. Just sync your phone in iTunes if you want to keep your JB. I don't think you need to JB for Straight Talk. If you need JB for other reasons, that's for you to decide. But, once the phone is IMEI unlocked it can work with any GSM SIM card. You may still need to load in Straight Talk's APN info, but the SIM should work with the unlock.

Captain 0bvious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
You don't have to restore. It is suggested because people want to see the "unlocked" message in iTunes. Just sync your phone in iTunes if you want to keep your JB. I don't think you need to JB for Straight Talk. If you need JB for other reasons, that's for you to decide. But, once the phone is IMEI unlocked it can work with any GSM SIM card. You may still need to load in Straight Talk's APN info, but the SIM should work with the unlock.

Thank You. I can make phone calls & receive regular text & iMessage, just no MMS & Cellular Data can be wonky at times. I do need a JB because I have to have the TetherMe app in order to change APN settings.

Any suggestions on a "Seller" on eBay for unlocking a phone? Thanks again folks, your alls help is greatly appreciated!

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Thank You. I can make phone calls & receive regular text & iMessage, just no MMS & Cellular Data can be wonky at times. I do need a JB because I have to have the TetherMe app in order to change APN settings.

Any suggestions on a "Seller" on eBay for unlocking a phone? Thanks again folks, your alls help is greatly appreciated!

An unlocked phone for will open the carrier settings for the APN settings. So, unless you need tethering for a hotspot, you won't necessarily need your JB.

Look for unlock fusion on eBay for an AT&T IMEI iPhone unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.