Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedi74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
i notice my battery lasts a lot longer when i let it charge turned off while plugged into the wall as opposed to plugging it into my iMac.

anyone else notice this?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
The length of the time between 100% charges shouldn't change, regardless of where the charge originates. The actual charging time will be faster using the wall plug as opposed to USB from computer. Strength of most USB charge into the battery is less (requiring more time to reach 100%) than charging directly from wall plug.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The length of the time between 100% charges shouldn't change, regardless of where the charge originates. The actual charging time will be faster using the wall plug as opposed to USB from computer. Strength of most USB charge into the battery is less (requiring more time to reach 100%) than charging directly from wall plug.

Agreed. I never use my computer to charge my iPhone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I do both regularly. No difference in battery life between the two.

Charge time WILL vary depending on the computer or the charger. A 12W Apple charger will top any iPhone off in no time flat, while a compact charger will take longer. Some computers are slower than most chargers, some about as fast, depending on how much power output the computer can dish out through USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.