Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I always wondered why people buy phones to put them on a contract with the same carrier, Why buy an AT&T 16gb iPhone 4S for $200 when you can get it for $100 officially?
What do you mean by "officially"? Buying is buying. What's "unofficial" buying?

Typically people avoid subsidies to avoid contracts if that's what you're actually asking about but it's difficult to tell from your poorly worded post.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Singapore is one of THE prime markets of 'i' products resale ... On day of launch, people lined up in front of the carrier shops. Got the phones in about 100-300 range, went across the street and sold it 200 higher than the actual Apple rate.

Example,
IP5 64GB Apple Price - $1238
Launch Day Market Price - $1300 (You selling to Shop)
Launch Day Market Price - $1500 (You buying from Shop)

At present, Market price - $1180 (Shop selling) (Less than direct Apple !!)
At present, Market price for selling to Shops - $850-900

And from one of my worst experience, ASUS Padfone 2 Price on Launch - $1100
Market buying price on day of launch - $0000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Nobody wanted to buy it from me, ended selling directly to another person on forum)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
People will always buy the cheapest. I reckon at least 60-70% of iPhones are the lowest capacity of that model.

If they introduce a $99 16GB and $199 32GB (which they won't), people will buy the $99 one, and that will probably retain best resale value.

Having said that, I don't give a damn about how much it's worth in 2 years - enjoy the phone. You complain about a $50 difference with the 32GB resale value, but that's nothing compared to the $1000+ you're paying for the ownership of the phone.

HTH.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
Because it's NOT $100 if you're not eligible for a new contract or upgrade subsidy from your carrier. It's $549 unlocked from apple for a 16gb 4s.

people go on about this eligiblility like its some amazing thing, it just means you don't have enough $$ to buy it from apple unlocked lol :D

clyde2801

macrumors 601
people go on about this eligiblility like its some amazing thing, it just means you don't have enough $$ to buy it from apple unlocked lol :D

Or have enough sense to NOT pay a premium for both your phone AND your cell plan.;)

I suspect that if the subsidy/higher priced cell plan scheme didn't exist, a lot of people would still be walking around with iPhone 3g's. I suspect most of us are math and delayed gratification challenged: if the cell phones didn't offer the subsidy and cut their monthly charges by $20, most of use would still opt for the current system over that alternative. That $480 or whatever seems to hurt so much less being spread out over 48 months.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Or have enough sense to NOT pay a premium for both your phone AND your cell plan.;)

I suspect that if the subsidy/higher priced cell plan scheme didn't exist, a lot of people would still be walking around with iPhone 3g's. I suspect most of us are math and delayed gratification challenged: if the cell phones didn't offer the subsidy and cut their monthly charges by $20, most of use would still opt for the current system over that alternative. That $480 or whatever seems to hurt so much less being spread out over 48 months.

Exactly, its the same reason poeple make payments on cars, Its practical.
Even though I could drop over six hundred on phone, I simply rather not in fact I would never do that.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I think what it would also do is put pressure on manufacturers to make cheaper smartphones.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Except the carriers don't want to drop the price of their cell plans.

I don't think they do either--as there are plenty of people who don't update their phone as soon as they become eligible for a subsidized upgrade. Many just keep using their device until it stops working.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
Exactly, its the same reason poeple make payments on cars, Its practical.
Even though I could drop over six hundred on phone, I simply rather not in fact I would never do that.

i've always bought my cars with cash, i dislike paying any intrest on anything

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

This doesn't really explain the success of newer phones in all of those countries that sell the thing off contract...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.