Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
J3ffry
macrumors member

Heat damage MacBook, possible?

Allrighty..

Yesterday i took my 1 day old MacBook Pro Retina LG to the Genius bar for a conversation about image retention and the guy ran the Apple diagnostic test (stupid test btw, checkerboard pattern for 3 minutes, and then 1 minute to let the retention clear up with dimmed backlight, and only after that you should check for retention).

Anyone after the test the guy closed the lid. So i put it in the sleeve, and sleeve in laptop compartment bag.

After that went shopping, for coming back home 5 hours later. At home i pulled my laptop from the bag, when noticing it was extremely hot! And that's with a Speck cover on!

I'm thinking that because it was in weird DOS style Apple secret special diagnostic mode the "auto sleep on closed lid" wasn't there and the damn thing just kept running all the time.

Laptops works fine now, but i'm somewhat paranoid that this situation somehow took some effect on the computer, or the screen. I mean closed lid, speck cover, sleeve, and small bag compartment. Any advise on this? Things i should check? OCD's kicks in again, *****

Last edited by J3ffry; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
J3ffry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ffry View Post
Allrighty..

Yesterday i was at the Apple Genius bar for a conversation about image retention and the guy ran the Apple diagnostic test (stupid test btw, checkerboard pattern for 3 minutes, and then 1 minute to let the retention clear up with dimmed backlight, and only after that you should check for retention).

Anyone after the test the guy closed the lid. So i put it in the sleeve, and sleeve in laptop compartment bag.

After that went shopping, for coming back home 5 hours later. At home i pulled my laptop from the bag, when noticing it was extremely hot! And that's with a Speck cover on!

Laptops works fine now, but i'm somewhat paranoid that this situation somehow took some effect on the computer. I mean closed lid, speck cover, sleeve, and small bag compartment. Any advise on this? Things i should check?
I always have my MBP turned off when transporting it long distances (*especially* when putting it in a bag) for the exact same reasons.

Even if it's asleep, the casing combined with the bag likely trapped in the heat. However, if it's off, you won't have to worry about this.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Allrighty..

Yesterday i was at the Apple Genius bar for a conversation about image retention and the guy ran the Apple diagnostic test (stupid test btw, checkerboard pattern for 3 minutes, and then 1 minute to let the retention clear up with dimmed backlight, and only after that you should check for retention).

I'm thinking that because it was in weird DOS style Apple secret special diagnostic mode the "auto sleep on closed lid" wasn't there and the damn thing just kept running all the time.

Laptops works fine now, but i'm somewhat paranoid that this situation somehow took some effect on the computer, or the screen. I mean closed lid, speck cover, sleeve, and small bag compartment. Any advise on this? Things i should check? OCD's kicks in again, *****
No damage was done to your computer, a true overheating situation would have it shut itself down to prevent damage.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:23 PM   #4
J3ffry
macrumors member

Also when running Apple Service Toolkit / similar program?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Also when running Apple Service Toolkit / similar program?
Yes, it is a characteristic of the CPU/GPU to turn the whole system off in case of overheating. Irregardless of operating system.

Your notebook has no damage.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
J3ffry
macrumors member

Okay, thnx! I looked to me like there was some slight tint shift in the lcd screen, but i guess that's something that was there before than. Reason was i read about this is in a number of topics that said heat could do this to LCD.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Maggot FF
macrumors member

Like others have said, your computer is probably totally fine. But the screen would be the biggest thing for me. I never close my laptop immediately after running tasks that bring up the heat to 70-ish degrees celsius. Idk if that is just me being ocd and overly cautious, but it brings me peace of mind regarding the screen.
I'm terrified of messing my screen up, then again i don't know how much heat a lcd screen can take in enclosed environment like a laptop inside a bag. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Wafflausages
macrumors 6502

I think your laptop is fine. They're meant to shutdown at 105C to prevent any serious damage and most of the heat is transferred throughout the bottom case and I don't think there would be any serious heat transfer from the bottom to top case since the only things that connect them is the rubber around the screen and the plastic hinge which are insulators.
Wafflausages is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro