Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cured.not.dried

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
if you check out the amd game forums a lot of other people have troubles with 10.6 drivers and 5970.

have you tried updating your realtek drivers?
i believe the latest version is 2.50. maybe that could help.

another thing would be to entirely remove your 8800 before booting into windoze. windoze is reaaally bad at ignoring hardware even if you uninstall drivers and tell it to disable the device.

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
I have just done a spot of research into the power consumption of this card compared to the 4870X2 that I had before.

It appears that the 5970 draws a lot less than the 4870x2 idling and under load.

4870X2 222w / 479w

5970 185w / 393w

That is pretty good news, and means that I won't have the same overload issues I had before. If we end up being able to run this monster in OSX too, then I will be sold! :)

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I want to install the HD5970 on my MP 4.1. I'd like to know what do I need? There are too many types of HD5970; which type that fits in MP? how do I connect HD 5970 to my MP? I will use it for Win7 only. I am not technical person, but I can get job done if you could explain to me what should I do.

Last; do you recommend HD5970 or Should I (spend more) buy apple HD5870?

Many thanks.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I want to install the HD5970 on my MP 4.1. I'd like to know what do I need? There are too many types of HD5970; which type that fits in MP? how do I connect HD 5970 to my MP? I will use it for Win7 only. I am not technical person, but I can get job done if you could explain to me what should I do.

Last; do you recommend HD5970 or Should I (spend more) buy apple HD5870?

Many thanks.

If you don't know where to connect or how to install a Video card, then that is a clear sign you shouldn't be doing it on the advice of strangers.

Now, I know that maybe harsh, but here is a truth, your Mac Pro is worth loads of money to be fidling with and break something. So here is my answer: read about PCIe auxilary power, the HD 5970 requires a 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors and also the HD 5970 requires an open PCIe x16 slot. Optimally this slot should run at x16 speed. Bear in mind an HD 5970 is double sloted card, so it will take up 2 spaces.

Before you do anything, be sure to read more about some of this things to avoid a mishap.

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
If you don't know where to connect or how to install a Video card, then that is a clear sign you shouldn't be doing it on the advice of strangers.

Now, I know that maybe harsh, but here is a truth, your Mac Pro is worth loads of money to be fidling with and break something. So here is my answer: read about PCIe auxilary power, the HD 5970 requires a 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors and also the HD 5970 requires an open PCIe x16 slot. Optimally this slot should run at x16 speed. Bear in mind an HD 5970 is double sloted card, so it will take up 2 spaces.

Before you do anything, be sure to read more about some of this things to avoid a mishap.

I spent a lot on my MP and I am not going to damage it for sake of gaming. I may able to lay wires to feed HD5970; but I don't know why & how. Thanks for waking me up pal, I will read about PCIe auxiliary power and figure if I can do it or not. I won't rush to buy HD5970 because I will not upgrade my GPU before end of September.

Cocoia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I spent a lot on my MP and I am not going to damage it for sake of gaming. I may able to lay wires to feed HD5970; but I don't know why & how. Thanks for waking me up pal, I will read about PCIe auxiliary power and figure if I can do it or not. I won't rush to buy HD5970 because I will not upgrade my GPU before end of September.

Not to mention the 6000 series should also be announced quite soon. If you don't feel like tinkering a lot and have some time before you have to decide, I'd wait it out a bit :).

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Not to mention the 6000 series should also be announced quite soon. If you don't feel like tinkering a lot and have some time before you have to decide, I'd wait it out a bit :).

The 6 series will have more powerful than HD 5870. Although 5870 is a powerful card, but it was released a year back. I am not sure how long should we wait to see the new GPU (officially) in MP.

But we have to believe in Apple, especially when they release one year old card that it is about to get updated; as new and powerful GPU for its Professional market!!

Cheers!!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

Although we would all want the 6000 series to come out, I don't see that happenning this year. Not afte TSMC is still having problems with the 40nm process. According to AMD's roadmaps, the 6000 series carry the flag name Northern Islands and are supposedly to be made at 32/28nm.

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Although we would all want the 6000 series to come out, I don't see that happenning this year

I totally agree with you; in addition we may not see it until 7xxx series is on the way to the market! Apple is one year behind in GPU and I think that one year gab in technology is major deficiency for any company want to compete in computing system.

Not afte TSMC is still having problems with the 40nm process. According to AMD's roadmaps, the 6000 series carry the flag name Northern Islands and are supposedly to be made at 32/28nm.

in reference to what you've said; I assume the 6xxx would be far better than 5xxx and that is going to worth a lot for me especially if speed gain are more than 30%. But will 6 series be easily installed in MP 4.1???

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
Of course, the bright side of a possible 6000 series launch is that the prices of the 5000's will start tumbling. The 5970 is far too expensive in the uk currently. Any drop in price would be very welcome! :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Of course, the bright side of a possible 6000 series launch is that the prices of the 5000's will start tumbling. The 5970 is far too expensive in the uk currently. Any drop in price would be very welcome! :)

The it would make no sense to buy a 5000 series when the 6000 series is out.

As per iWolf00 I have no idea if they'll work with the Mac Pro4,1

decypher

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for reply; I will wait and see how it will fit on MP.

So good to see that the 5970 works in the mp under windows. Anyone here try the 5970 with the flashed rom under snow leopard with games like sc2?
I really really want to upgrade by 2008-09 Mac pro with a worthwhile card.

Cocoia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
So good to see that the 5970 works in the mp under windows. Anyone here try the 5970 with the flashed rom under snow leopard with games like sc2?
I really really want to upgrade by 2008-09 Mac pro with a worthwhile card.

You can't flash the HD5970 as far as I know.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
You can't flash the HD5970 as far as I know.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, just wondering if the 5970 works now in OSX. I know only 1 core will work, but that's ok, windows SSD is for games, OSX SSD is for everything else.

Also, if it will work, does it require drivers and modified kext?

Power is not an issue.

Cocoia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
It may be possible, but I eventually gave up and just ran it in Windows - used a Apple sanctioned 5870 for OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.