Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
msmth928
macrumors regular

How much is a 2009 Mac Pro worth?

I am thinking about selling my 2009 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro (12GB Ram and 512MB ATI 4870 graphics).

I have seen one on eBay at 1299 at buy-it-now, but it was a 'loan machine' so looks like it has been used a lot. Mine has only had home use and is in 'mint' condition - no scratches no nothing! I also have the original box. I have only played a game on it once - just to see what it was like. Never used for anything heavy - just photoshop, email, web browsing etc.

It's the best computer I have ever had, and I'm only selling because we are moving and travelling for the next two years (will be getting a MacBook Air).

Any ideas what I can expect to get for it? Should I hang on a bit as second hand prices are likely set to rise if Apple stops manufacturing them?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
bigp2
macrumors newbie

I don't think the prices will rise, they become out of date rather than collectible.

I sold my quad 2.93GHz/4870 in the summer on eBay, I think it went for 1100. I know a lot of people price the buy-it-nows higher but I don't know how many of these actually sell.

Phil
bigp2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:01 AM   #3
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's a refurb shop in Exeter selling these for between 999 and 1199, depending on spec. I bought a bare one from them (no HDD or GFX) with 32GB of RAM for 900 plus shipping.

They sell well at this kind of price mainly because they're an ideal starting point for a hex-core upgrade. You may get lucky and attract a couple of bidders desperate to buy a "minter" who will bid it up, but I wouldn't count on it.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:47 AM   #4
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

When Apple releases the new pro models later this year the more current previous models will likely take a hit in resale value. If they don't it probably means Apple screwed up big time.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:42 PM   #5
GermanyChris
Banned

ebay.de has yours with a rather large amount of expensive software for 1300 Euro.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=140915388540
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

a lot of people put macs up for sale without any real intent in selling them for an extended period of time, as such they list high asking prices. However, it's rare these machines sell for their asking prices.

People are generally hoping that a buyer will know nothing or not check prices and make a large impulse buy out of it.

Honestly, when it comes to mac pros, i find people that are asking high prices think they'll get them regardless of the machine's specs because they may have paid an arm and a leg x years ago or they assume the name and the look of the case will be the real sales point.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:13 AM   #7
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmth928 View Post
I am thinking about selling my 2009 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro (12GB Ram and 512MB ATI 4870 graphics).

I have seen one on eBay at 1299 at buy-it-now, but it was a 'loan machine' so looks like it has been used a lot. Mine has only had home use and is in 'mint' condition - no scratches no nothing! I also have the original box. I have only played a game on it once - just to see what it was like. Never used for anything heavy - just photoshop, email, web browsing etc.

It's the best computer I have ever had, and I'm only selling because we are moving and travelling for the next two years (will be getting a MacBook Air).

Any ideas what I can expect to get for it? Should I hang on a bit as second hand prices are likely set to rise if Apple stops manufacturing them?
I found this one here for 895. I know they're all more expensive in the UK. These are going for a lot less in America... about 600 equivalent!

Another, even better one for 720!

Last edited by wonderspark; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
wonderspark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:22 AM   #8
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
a lot of people put macs up for sale without any real intent in selling them for an extended period of time, as such they list high asking prices. However, it's rare these machines sell for their asking prices.

People are generally hoping that a buyer will know nothing or not check prices and make a large impulse buy out of it.

Honestly, when it comes to mac pros, i find people that are asking high prices think they'll get them regardless of the machine's specs because they may have paid an arm and a leg x years ago or they assume the name and the look of the case will be the real sales point.
I abhor people who do that. They're just cluttering legitimate sales channels with their garbage. Under $1000 in good working order and they make a nice upgrade candidate.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:23 AM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I abhor people who do that. They're just cluttering legitimate sales channels with their garbage. Under $1000 in good working order and they make a nice upgrade candidate.
The problem is here in Europe/Germany you can't get a 1st gen for under $1000. 1,1's. 700-900 Euro is about going rate.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:51 AM   #10
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I would say....

between 750-900 pounds can be a good asking price, tops. The good care of the machine and the absence of cosmetic/functional issues can help in the price. But, if any AppleCare is left, that will be worth too, IMHO.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
msmth928
macrumors regular

I am watching a few on eBay now and a few others are on BIN at around 1200 to 1300.

I would put it on for a starting price of 799 as I wouldn't want to sell it any cheaper than that tbh

Wonder how much shipping would cost - need to look into that.

I was hoping the new MBAs would be out by now (would prefer retina display) but I can't really hold out much longer as I want to move soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
That went for 1,170.00, and did you see how dirty/dusty it looked?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Macsonic
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmth928 View Post

Wonder how much shipping would cost - need to look into that.
The Mac Pro is around 55lbs including the shipping box. Maybe from there you can calculate the shipping cost.
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #13
msmth928
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsonic View Post
The Mac Pro is around 55lbs including the shipping box. Maybe from there you can calculate the shipping cost.
Thanks, DHL looks reasonable - tho they don't have anything about cover/compensation :/

http://parcel.dhl.co.uk/

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice