Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I am thinking about selling my 2009 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro (12GB Ram and 512MB ATI 4870 graphics).

I have seen one on eBay at £1299 at buy-it-now, but it was a 'loan machine' so looks like it has been used a lot. Mine has only had home use and is in 'mint' condition - no scratches no nothing! I also have the original box. I have only played a game on it once - just to see what it was like. Never used for anything heavy - just photoshop, email, web browsing etc.

It's the best computer I have ever had, and I'm only selling because we are moving and travelling for the next two years (will be getting a MacBook Air).

Any ideas what I can expect to get for it? Should I hang on a bit as second hand prices are likely set to rise if Apple stops manufacturing them?

bigp2

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
I don't think the prices will rise, they become out of date rather than collectible.

I sold my quad 2.93GHz/4870 in the summer on eBay, I think it went for £1100. I know a lot of people price the buy-it-nows higher but I don't know how many of these actually sell.

Phil

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's a refurb shop in Exeter selling these for between £999 and £1199, depending on spec. I bought a bare one from them (no HDD or GFX) with 32GB of RAM for £900 plus shipping.

They sell well at this kind of price mainly because they're an ideal starting point for a hex-core upgrade. You may get lucky and attract a couple of bidders desperate to buy a "minter" who will bid it up, but I wouldn't count on it.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
When Apple releases the new pro models later this year the more current previous models will likely take a hit in resale value. If they don't it probably means Apple screwed up big time.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
a lot of people put macs up for sale without any real intent in selling them for an extended period of time, as such they list high asking prices. However, it's rare these machines sell for their asking prices.

People are generally hoping that a buyer will know nothing or not check prices and make a large impulse buy out of it.

Honestly, when it comes to mac pros, i find people that are asking high prices think they'll get them regardless of the machine's specs because they may have paid an arm and a leg x years ago or they assume the name and the look of the case will be the real sales point.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I am thinking about selling my 2009 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro (12GB Ram and 512MB ATI 4870 graphics).

I have seen one on eBay at £1299 at buy-it-now, but it was a 'loan machine' so looks like it has been used a lot. Mine has only had home use and is in 'mint' condition - no scratches no nothing! I also have the original box. I have only played a game on it once - just to see what it was like. Never used for anything heavy - just photoshop, email, web browsing etc.

It's the best computer I have ever had, and I'm only selling because we are moving and travelling for the next two years (will be getting a MacBook Air).

Any ideas what I can expect to get for it? Should I hang on a bit as second hand prices are likely set to rise if Apple stops manufacturing them?
I found this one here for £895. I know they're all more expensive in the UK. These are going for a lot less in America... about £600 equivalent!

Another, even better one for £720!

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
a lot of people put macs up for sale without any real intent in selling them for an extended period of time, as such they list high asking prices. However, it's rare these machines sell for their asking prices.

People are generally hoping that a buyer will know nothing or not check prices and make a large impulse buy out of it.

Honestly, when it comes to mac pros, i find people that are asking high prices think they'll get them regardless of the machine's specs because they may have paid an arm and a leg x years ago or they assume the name and the look of the case will be the real sales point.

I abhor people who do that. They're just cluttering legitimate sales channels with their garbage. Under $1000 in good working order and they make a nice upgrade candidate.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I abhor people who do that. They're just cluttering legitimate sales channels with their garbage. Under $1000 in good working order and they make a nice upgrade candidate.

The problem is here in Europe/Germany you can't get a 1st gen for under $1000. 1,1's. 700-900 Euro is about going rate.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

between 750-900 pounds can be a good asking price, tops. The good care of the machine and the absence of cosmetic/functional issues can help in the price. But, if any AppleCare is left, that will be worth too, IMHO.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

msmth928

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I am watching a few on eBay now and a few others are on BIN at around £1200 to £1300.

I would put it on for a starting price of £799 as I wouldn't want to sell it any cheaper than that tbh

Wonder how much shipping would cost - need to look into that.

I was hoping the new MBAs would be out by now (would prefer retina display) but I can't really hold out much longer as I want to move soon...

That went for £1,170.00, and did you see how dirty/dusty it looked? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.