Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:45 PM   #226
macgeek18
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Murrieta,CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
Sad to see someone abandon ship, nevertheless, so long! Hope it was fun :3
It was. I learned to repair computers on iMac G4's and iBook clamshells, after those I've never been intimated by a computer repair. lol Ok... I'm intimated by the new iMacs.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13";2.5Ghz Core i5;8GB DDR3;480GBSSD;OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks
iPhone 5c, 16GB, White, Verizon 4G LTE.
macgeek18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:00 PM   #227
Davy.Shalom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I tried...but I just couldn't stand just doing word processing and email. My poor G4 12" would even freeze after >30 min of quicktime. I'd have to wait for it to cool down for a bit before attempting to watch more. Also, my dual G5 was starting to slow down for normal tasks as well.

I just got the 13" i7. Loving every bit of it. I'll always cherish the memories of my PPCs. My first one was the G4 12" prototype (aunt was a PB project manager at Apple). My last was the dual core 2.3 G5. I've never had a PPC fail on me. My dad still has a PB 170. Apple used to build great things. I hope this new laptop is built well too.
__________________
-Macbook Pro 13" 2.9 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB HD
-Mac Pro 8 core (3 GHz Xeon), 10 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900
-PowerMac G5: 2 x 2.3 GHz, 14 GB RAM, 1.5 TB HD
Davy.Shalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:55 AM   #228
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek18 View Post
It was. I learned to repair computers on iMac G4's and iBook clamshells, after those I've never been intimated by a computer repair. lol Ok... I'm intimated by the new iMacs.
You mean you're intimidated, right?
Yeah, once you've repaired a compact Apple product such as an iPhone, or god forbid one of the more problematic PPC machines, all future repairs can seem like a walk in the park.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:23 PM   #229
macgeek18
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Murrieta,CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
You mean you're intimidated, right?
Yeah, once you've repaired a compact Apple product such as an iPhone, or god forbid one of the more problematic PPC machines, all future repairs can seem like a walk in the park.
The newer machines intimidate me, but older macbook's, MBP's, and iMac's are a walk in the park to me.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13";2.5Ghz Core i5;8GB DDR3;480GBSSD;OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks
iPhone 5c, 16GB, White, Verizon 4G LTE.
macgeek18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:26 PM   #230
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek18 View Post
The newer machines intimidate me, but older macbook's, MBP's, and iMac's are a walk in the park to me.
I know what you mean, the new iMacs are crazy!
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:28 PM   #231
Lil Chillbil
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
I know what you mean, the new iMacs are crazy!
They don't scare me for some reason, now you know whats scary is the Apple TV
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:30 PM   #232
PowerPCMacMan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PowerPC land
Wow, this thread is getting long in the tooth.. I intend to stay with PowerPC until its legs fall off..or until I can no longer, and I mean NO LONGER access the i-net.

But realistically, how long do we actually have before a G5 Quad or PowerBook G4 1.67 can no longer access the internet?
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:42 PM   #233
Troy598
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
I still use my 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 a lot. Mostly to heat up my workshop.
Troy598 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:46 PM   #234
Lil Chillbil
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy598 View Post
I still use my 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 a lot. Mostly to heat up my workshop.ImageImageImageImage
you may want to fix your photos

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
Wow, this thread is getting long in the tooth.. I intend to stay with PowerPC until its legs fall off..or until I can no longer, and I mean NO LONGER access the i-net.

But realistically, how long do we actually have before a G5 Quad or PowerBook G4 1.67 can no longer access the internet?
i've got $50 on macworld 2014
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:26 AM   #235
happyfrappy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Location eh?
Thumbs up

I sense my 12" PowerBook G4 will remain in duty as long as the new IDE drive keeps on tickin', if the internal HDD dies again I'll have to settle on an external FW400. AFAIK WD is the only HDD maker who still produces IDE drives, if/when they halt production it'll be risky to trust "used drives".
My old iMac G3 333mhz mainly collects dust, CRT seems to be nearing death so I may need to remount it into something like an iRack or ITX case


If anyone has replaced the HDD on a 12"/15"/17" PowerBook G4, you'll find the unibody MacBook Pros the peak of Apple notebook design... ~100 screws and a near-tear down for a PowerBook G4 isn't a fun job
happyfrappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 05:50 PM   #236
Lil Chillbil
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfrappy View Post
I sense my 12" PowerBook G4 will remain in duty as long as the new IDE drive keeps on tickin', if the internal HDD dies again I'll have to settle on an external FW400. AFAIK WD is the only HDD maker who still produces IDE drives, if/when they halt production it'll be risky to trust "used drives".
My old iMac G3 333mhz mainly collects dust, CRT seems to be nearing death so I may need to remount it into something like an iRack or ITX case


If anyone has replaced the HDD on a 12"/15"/17" PowerBook G4, you'll find the unibody MacBook Pros the peak of Apple notebook design... ~100 screws and a near-tear down for a PowerBook G4 isn't a fun job
Oh come on, at this point the imac g3s are getting pretty damn near collectors items, please don't disown the ghost of Steven P. Jobs by mounting the guts of a g3 into a irack
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 08:27 PM   #237
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020
 
Jethryn Freyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
But realistically, how long do we actually have before a G5 Quad or PowerBook G4 1.67 can no longer access the internet?
Well, my dual CPU G5 can still take any modern, USB 2.0 wireless card, the Airport card works fine, 10/100/1000 Ethernet works fine, as do the PCI slots for network cards, TenFourFox/WebKit handle ~99% of websites just fine and 95% about perfectly, nice and safely too with the use of Adblock _+ NoScript + Ghostery etc.

This is all running Leopard, too, as an experiment I got Lubuntu 12.04 onto a slightly older 1GHz eMac and it had no trouble automatically configuring DHCP when the internet connection was shared to it from my G5 tower through a switch over Ethernet.
__________________
Emergency Cheesegrater - 2x 1.8 G5 - 4GB - OWC SSD - ATI Fire GL X3 256MB - 10.5.8
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC