Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brradley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm a convert from Windows and the only thing I miss is Explorer - particularly the way that it makes the icons fit to the window, whereas with finder, you have to scroll around left and right to get to the files you want if they do not fit in the window size.

Is there any Finder alternatives that make it more like windows explorer? I also dislike how Mac leaves gaps in the files grid if they are moved - whereas in Windows if you delete/move a file, all of the files move up to fill the spaces. This is how I'd prefer finder to be.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Check THIS THREAD - plenty of responses and suggestions for Finder replacements. For myself, I'm on a trial DL of Total Finder which works for me and like the 'plugin' nature of the program - will be an $18 purchase if I decide to keep it - plenty of 'free' options, though - good luck! :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm a convert from Windows and the only thing I miss is Explorer - particularly the way that it makes the icons fit to the window, whereas with finder, you have to scroll around left and right to get to the files you want if they do not fit in the window size.

Is there any Finder alternatives that make it more like windows explorer? I also dislike how Mac leaves gaps in the files grid if they are moved - whereas in Windows if you delete/move a file, all of the files move up to fill the spaces. This is how I'd prefer finder to be.
Sounds like you're only using Icon View. Have you tried Column View or List View?

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Hello,

Try 'Right click' then 'Clean Up'

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, Icon View with Arrange By Name set in Show View Options will close the gaps when a file is removed. I assume the same is true of Arrange By Date, etc., but, as I stated, not Snap to Grid or None.

If you set Arrange By from the contextual menu (right click) it won't work this way. That is a temporary rearrangement. I'm using Leopard, YMMV.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Hello,

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

You know, I am still a little annoyed by the icons not changing places as the windows are resized, but I've come to like the fact that everything doesn't snap to a strict grid. It can look a little messy at times, but it actually provides a bit of a visual cue as to which files are where. If I'm arranging things, I can put things into piles, and it makes it easier to keep up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.