Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502

Mail Program Needed: treat Comcast like imap

I have a Comcast mail account.
It has A LOT of mail in it.
I would like to go thru it and delete lots of stuff.
Comcast's web interface is not great for doing this.
Mac Mail program would do a fine job with this, BUT Comcast is POP3 only, so any changes I do would not be reflected on the server, as it would be with IMAP.
I DO NOT want to download everything into a client program.

So, is there a mail client that will let me access the mail in the comcast account, sort/delete with ease, which will be reflected on the server when I'm done?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

As I understand your question, what you want is not at all difficult. It is impossible. With POP3, you have two options:
  • Use an email client [like Mail or Thunderbird] to download your messages while leaving them on the server. This will allow you to download the same messages to other email clients.
  • Use an email client [like Mail or Thunderbird] to download your messages and then erase them from the server.
Using an email client to manage messages on a POP3 server is not possible. For this, you must use your webmail client. This is what you are doing now. This is what you must continue to do until Comcast implements an IMAP option.

That said, Microsoft's Live/Hotmail is also POP3. However, the Redmond company set up an IMAP-like server for mobile devices. It works just fine with desktop clients [like OS X Mail and Thunderbird]. Perhaps, Comcast can be persuaded to follow suit. Contact Comcast and express your desire for IMAP access or mobile access equivalent to Live/Hotmail.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #3
maflynn

Have your comcast mail forward to gmail and then use Mail to read it from there.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:50 AM   #4
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Have your comcast mail forward to gmail and then use Mail to read it from there.
Which could be considered useful for future mail, but not for the thousands of mail I already have which is what I'm looking to do.

@MisterMe I don't believe in the impossible. There is a way to thread the needle, I just need to find it.
I clearly know the difference between POP3 and IMAP and why this is a difficult problem. I'm looking for software that overcomes the limitation of the protocols.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
bluechair1984
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBeagle View Post
@MisterMe I don't believe in the impossible. There is a way to thread the needle, I just need to find it.
I clearly know the difference between POP3 and IMAP and why this is a difficult problem. I'm looking for software that overcomes the limitation of the protocols.
I think @MisterMe is correct. What you are trying to do with POP3 is impossible.

As a software engineer, I can tell you that just because you believe something, doesn't mean a computer will agree. A protocol is there for a reason, it must be followed on both sides for it to work. There are no ways around it. If you want to use POP3 like IMAP, you can't. That is why there are two different protocols. Otherwise they would have just changed the POP3 protocol.
bluechair1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Which could be considered useful for future mail, but not for the thousands of mail I already have which is what I'm looking to do.

Gmail has migration features that let you import old mail from another account. If, in 2013, you're still using a mail provider that only offers POP, you should consider this.
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:37 PM   #7
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
Gmail has migration features that let you import old mail from another account. If, in 2013, you're still using a mail provider that only offers POP, you should consider this.
This is the reason why I don't use comcast. Plus you're not tied to the company, i.e., dropping comcast will be too painful.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Grumpy&Old
macrumors newbie

Comcast IMAP

Comcast has an IMAP beta.
I have been using it for some time - it works well.

https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/imap_trial/web/
Grumpy&Old is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:29 PM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I create an archive account in gmail... thats only purpose is as a repository of any and all email that I receive... irrespective of account.

For example, if your email address was VideoBeagle at ISP.com.... then I would create a Gmail account call archive.VideoBeagle at google.com and set up all email accounts that I own to forward a copy to that google account.

This allows me to "ruthlessly delete" any and all email that comes into my primary accounts. I typically have just a few emails (i.e. less than 5 or 10) in my account. I can do this because I know that I can log into my archive gmail account and search for anything in a few milliseconds.

I LOVE the uncluttered inbox. Very "freeing".

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy&Old View Post

Awesome info! Thanks! All I'd been able to find about it previously was people asking on their forums if it'd work with Mac as comcast was specifically saying it was for Windows 8. I couldn't think of any reason it wouldn't work with mac, but that post had no one replying.

I'll go to pull the trigger on the migration!
Old May 8, 2013, 01:45 AM   #11
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy&Old View Post

And this worked for me!

Found this page: https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/win8/win8.html which has the server info which is important, and then also this https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 which tells you how to bypass the Mac (and iOS)'s auto config which will chose pop3

Quote:
It seems that iOS thinks it is smart enough to determine whether to use IMAP or POP for a new account setup. It appears to be unaware of the Comcast Beta and thus only offers a POP choice which will reject the IMAP server settings.

The way to bypass the iOS 'intelligence' feature is to put in bogus server information during setup to force iOS to ask you whether to use IMAP or POP.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store