Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 29, 2013, 06:58 PM   #26
sracer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post
I'm with ya. I've got a mini and an iPad 4. All of my rags are on my 4. I subscribe to a half dozen monthlies through newsstand and zinio. I've not bothered to d/l any of my mags to my mini as the retina screens are Much better for reading periodicals...newspapers included.

That said...I'm a HUGE fan of the old catalogs from sears, penny's and...was it Ward's Can't remember...but I'm definitely curious as to where you've been able to find the old copies? Do share please
LOL I thought I was the only one!!!

Here's the link- http://www.wishbookweb.com/
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 09:37 PM   #27
senseless
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Old catalogs are very interesting, agreed. So are old Billboard magazines if you like music history. Try this. Use the magnify button to zoom in:

http://books.google.com/books?id=zCc...201967&f=false
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

The larger 9.7" iPad is much better for browsing the web, checking email, Flipboard etc. Everything seems cramped on the mini. I have my iPhone if I want a small screen.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Crikey
macrumors 6502

I'm not surprised to hear it. I have been disappointed with reading magazines on the full-size iPad. I'd love an iPad with a 12-13" screen, but I've suggested it here before and the idea hasn't got much traction. Apple loves their small and thin and light, so I doubt a larger iPad will ever happen.
Crikey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:23 AM   #30
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgibbon View Post
Have you ever used a mini or any other small tablet for that matter? I didn't think the iPad 4 was heavy until I purchased a mini. I challenge you to hold an iPad 4 one handed for an hour while reading a book. Then try the same thing with a mini, you will notice a significant difference.

I use it at work all the time standing and holding it in one hand for over an hour at a time, either typing on it or directing others, using it as reference, as well as carrying it in my hand most of the day. Have done that since the first gen iPad. No weight issue at all. Like anything, you get used to doing it.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:08 AM   #31
colodane
macrumors regular

Don't have a mini (a full size iPad 2), but have to agree that reading magazines on an iPad isn't the pleasurable experience I had expected.

When I first got the iPad, I downloaded apps for a few of my favorite magazines. They worked very well. Maybe too well? By this I mean that the download sizes for all the multiple pages of color graphics is fairly large. I have storage space to spare, but the download time on my 3 to 4 Mbps ISP is annoyingly slow.

Then, the actual reading experience isn't nearly as pleasurable as holding the physical magazine. This is certainly a personal preference rather than any fault of the iPad, but for me the physical magazines were so much better that I deleted my iPad magazine apps.

That said, the iPad is an excellent device for consuming magazine-like information and news media. I really enjoy using it for reading the New York Times digital newspaper, Google News, Zite, etc. etc.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:09 AM   #32
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

Here's where a Retina display would do wonders for the reading experience.
CristobalHuet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #33
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodane View Post
Then, the actual reading experience isn't nearly as pleasurable as holding the physical magazine. This is certainly a personal preference rather than any fault of the iPad, but for me the physical magazines were so much better that I deleted my iPad magazine apps.

That said, the iPad is an excellent device for consuming magazine-like information and news media. I really enjoy using it for reading the New York Times digital newspaper, Google News, Zite, etc. etc.
I think magazines that try to replicate the physical magazine experience on the iPad tend to come up short -- the original printed format trumps any iPad apps based on that format.

Reading apps that are designed from the ground up for the iPad, such as the ones you mention, plus Flipboard, Marco Arment's "The Magazine" (although Arment just sold it to his editor), The Loop Magazine, etc, all provide a more satisfying iPad reading experience, IMO.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:23 AM   #34
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgibbon View Post
Have you ever used a mini or any other small tablet for that matter? I didn't think the iPad 4 was heavy until I purchased a mini. I challenge you to hold an iPad 4 one handed for an hour while reading a book. Then try the same thing with a mini, you will notice a significant difference.
I don't even hold books one handed, always propped on something. Same with the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikey View Post
I'm not surprised to hear it. I have been disappointed with reading magazines on the full-size iPad. I'd love an iPad with a 12-13" screen, but I've suggested it here before and the idea hasn't got much traction. Apple loves their small and thin and light, so I doubt a larger iPad will ever happen.
Night and day difference reading mags on iPad 3 & 4 compared to 1 & 2. A larger iPad is coming, they have even had a rumor story or two. But I don't think it will run iOS, it will have OS XI.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM   #35
srkmish
macrumors regular

Hi Friends,

I recently purchased Ainol Venus Tab with 720p resolution and comparing it to ipad mini in terms of reading / pdfs , it becomes totally apparent that Apple has compromised on the display quality of mini.

On my Ainol Tab, text seems sharp and perfect for reading while on mini there is an annoying hint of bluriness and the text never seems "sharp". While epub is fine on mini, the text in PDFs make matters worse as atleast with epub u can customize ( increase/change fonts.). The text in some PDFs are woeful compared to Ainol where the text is still intact and sharp.

If a 120$ tablet can provide a better reading experience, my verdict is that Apple should not have compromised the display quality given its price.

For the rest of the tasks though- performance/gaming/audio/battery life , Mini is far ahead of Ainol. Ios is just so much more smoother and seamless. This is my final objective analysis with respect to reading experience on tabs. Currently using ainol tab as my ebook reader for now.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:49 PM   #36
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
sir. I'm nt tlkin abt blurry text in general. It is really blurry when u purchase something from newstand and u have to zoomin and read .it becomes obvious that the text is fuzzy.

I think I have to purchase an ipad 4 for enjoin magazines
Nothing on the iPad Mini is as hard to read as your grammar.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:03 PM   #37
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Thanks man! Maybe you, I and senseless are th only three...and I'm sorry I missed your link before...but reminiscing with those catalogs...these WERE Amazon, computer and tablet merchandising. In the 70s and 80s, I'll never forget sitting down with my brothers going through those things page by page! Circling our 'wish list'. Wow. Great Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Old catalogs are very interesting, agreed. So are old Billboard magazines if you like music history. Try this. Use the magnify button to zoom in:

http://books.google.com/books?id=zCc...201967&f=false
Very cool! I've worked in radio for 22 years now...I've got a dozen stacks of old Billboard and R&R magazines in storage! Again....another industry/product decimated by the Internet and tablets, computers, and smart phones.

Thanks fellas

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad