Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

3 Emails always new - red 3 notification won't go away

On my iPad 4 (running 6.1), the OS thinks there are 3 new messages in my exchange account. The problem is, the inbox is empty.

I have the same account linked up with OSX Mail and it's fine, and I have the same account linked up with my iPhone and it's fine. They've been like this for about a week.

I've done a hard reset and a soft reset. I also turned the email off and on in the settings. The 3 goes away when it's off, it comes back when it's on.

Any advice?

Last edited by mattwolfmatt; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
mattwolfmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
On my iPad 4 (running 6.1), the OS thinks there are 3 new messages in my exchange account. The problem is, the inbox is empty.

I have the same account linked up with OSX Mail and it's fine, and I have the same account linked up with my iPhone and it's fine. They've been like this for about a week.

I've done a hard reset and a soft reset. I also turned the email off and on in the settings. The 3 goes away when it's off, it comes back when it's on.

Any advice?
Delete the account then re-add it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Delete the account then re-add it.
This only solves the issue temporarily as I have the same problem on my iphone. Shortly but surly the issue will arise again. Gets annoying having to turn off/on the exchange account over and over.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfarr View Post
This only solves the issue temporarily as I have the same problem on my iphone. Shortly but surly the issue will arise again. Gets annoying having to turn off/on the exchange account over and over.
Sounds like there's some unread emails buried deep in your exchange account then.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
trakmasterrs
macrumors newbie

i've had this problem in the past with my exchange mailbox and i think i have it narrowed down to why it happens and how to fix it.

1) this seems to only show up as new message in my phone (but not on my local outlook client) when I do a specific search for emails in my phone, and the search pulls up results from SORTED mail in other folders. If those happen to be unread then that will show up as a new message icon on the mail app.

2) it's near impossible to locate the email but a few times, I used SIRI to display all my unread messages and sure enough it confirmed messages that were filtered out into my other folders outside the inbox. I was able to locate the time/date of the emails and manually looked them up and cleared them out that way.

3) if all of that isn't working or confirmed, then removing the mail account and re-adding normally does the trick.
trakmasterrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Sounds like there's some unread emails buried deep in your exchange account then.
No, there isn't. There is a sync issue. After I remove/add the exchange account it reflects the correct number. But eventually, it will mis-sync an email I have read on my desktop and will show that it is read on my iPhone (no blue dot) yet will still have the red number 1 on the app, and when open it will say there is an unread message. Even trying to force it to mark all messages as read doesnt fix it. Its a sync issue.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
MIKES3
macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact issue as well.
MIKES3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. However, after deleting the account and reinstalling it, all issues have gone away. The ghost new emails are no longer there. Good luck to the rest of you!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:27 PM   #9
charlituna
macrumors 604

It's an exchange server issue. Kind of thing not uncommon when dealing with two very different computer situations.

I believe this is one of the issues covered in this weeks 6.1.2.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
spoonerstreet
macrumors newbie

Guys, I just wanted to share how I fixed this. It was counting unread emails in my deleted items folder. Either clean that out or mark them as read....that is how it fixed this problem for me.
spoonerstreet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad