Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:14 AM   #1
stuart2102
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
How too totally Empty my Trash?

I read some other thread here and posted my concern but i think didnt put into the top so no one sees it so im sorry if i make this thread again as my concern why i cant totally empty my trash try those suggestions using "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* and lsof |grep <filename> and others to unlock my files from trash but still didnt work out im having troubled on this since yesterday the message display is this "The Finder canít complete the operation because some data in ďMan vs. Wild S1Ē canít be read or written.
(Error code -36)
"
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Washac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart2102 View Post
I read some other thread here and posted my concern but i think didnt put into the top so no one sees it so im sorry if i make this thread again as my concern why i cant totally empty my trash try those suggestions using "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* and lsof |grep <filename> and others to unlock my files from trash but still didnt work out im having troubled on this since yesterday the message display is this "The Finder canít complete the operation because some data in ďMan vs. Wild S1Ē canít be read or written.
(Error code -36)
"
I think you will get more replies if you post in the relevent area for your machine.
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6 GB RAM 24inch ACD Mavericks 10.9.4/XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC-20inch Alu iMac Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Washac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
stuart2102
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I think you will get more replies if you post in the relevent area for your machine.

Yeah actually i want to post at the exact forum but i was wondering it goes here and i was looking how to transfer this thread on the right forum, can i anyone knows how?
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart2102 View Post
Yeah actually i want to post at the exact forum but i was wondering it goes here and i was looking how to transfer this thread on the right forum, can i anyone knows how?
You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself

If you can't empty the Trash after a reboot then open up Disk Utility (Finder > Go menu > Utilities > Disk Utility), select your hard drive on the left, and click Repair Disk. This will track down and fix common problems, and may take several minutes. Once it's complete, try emptying the Trash again.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:39 AM   #5
stuart2102
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon Image next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself

If you can't empty the Trash after a reboot then open up Disk Utility (Finder > Go menu > Utilities > Disk Utility), select your hard drive on the left, and click Repair Disk. This will track down and fix common problems, and may take several minutes. Once it's complete, try emptying the Trash again.
Thanks!...
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:55 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
You can't do it yourself, but you can use the report icon Image next to your post to alert a moderator. In this case I found your thread and moved it myself

If you can't empty the Trash after a reboot then open up Disk Utility (Finder > Go menu > Utilities > Disk Utility), select your hard drive on the left, and click Repair Disk. This will track down and fix common problems, and may take several minutes. Once it's complete, try emptying the Trash again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart2102 View Post
Thanks!...
Although Nermal's advise is in essence good advice it won't work for the following reasons.
You can NOT repair a disk if you boot from that disk, you need to run from (at least) another Volume to repair a Volume.
If the HD needs to be repaired you need to startup from another medium like an external bootable HD or a DVD with OS X and repair utilities.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Although Nermal's advise is in essence good advice it won't work for the following reasons.
You can NOT repair a disk if you boot from that disk, you need to run from (at least) another Volume to repair a Volume.
You're right; I knew this was the case with earlier OS X versions but when I tested it in 10.8 I accidentally selected the wrong volume

Anyway, Verify Disk still works and if there are any problems then they can presumably be fixed from the Recovery System.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 AM   #8
stuart2102
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
You're right; I knew this was the case with earlier OS X versions but when I tested it in 10.8 I accidentally selected the wrong volume

Anyway, Verify Disk still works and if there are any problems then they can presumably be fixed from the Recovery System.
I tried but the exeternal disk cannot be repaired, and pop message says that i need to reformat, Why? uhmm i noticed that when i transfered my file on my computer for backup in the middle of transfering it stop and prompt me a message that my disk was not prperly ejected which i was wondering why it happen, i didnt touch my external drive

Last edited by stuart2102; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:07 AM   #9
stuart2102
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Although Nermal's advise is in essence good advice it won't work for the following reasons.
You can NOT repair a disk if you boot from that disk, you need to run from (at least) another Volume to repair a Volume.
If the HD needs to be repaired you need to startup from another medium like an external bootable HD or a DVD with OS X and repair utilities.

Hmmm...yeah the first advise didnt work uhmm i want to try this advice how to do this?
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:17 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart2102 View Post
Hmmm...yeah the first advise didnt work uhmm i want to try this advice how to do this?
I know also from another thread what you need but you should first by saying what hardware you actually have, and do you have another bootable external HD?

If your machine is newer or with updated firmware startup from Recovery (Command-R) and repair the disk from there with Disk Utilities.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:11 AM   #11
stuart2102
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I know also from another thread what you need but you should first by saying what hardware you actually have, and do you have another bootable external HD?

If your machine is newer or with updated firmware startup from Recovery (Command-R) and repair the disk from there with Disk Utilities.
i dont have bootable external HD yes my EX HD is new just 2weeks old
stuart2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 AM   #12
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart2102 View Post
i dont have bootable external HD yes my EX HD is new just 2weeks old
Read the questions please, what kind of a Mac do you have, and as I asked in the other thread, is it NTFS, if it is you need to repair it on a PC, or if you have windows installed on your Mac from bootcamp.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't empty trash mikethebook OS X 9 Nov 20, 2013 11:55 AM
Cannot Empty Trash iMacUnsure Mac Basics and Help 7 Nov 6, 2013 05:58 AM
Cannot Empty Trash Washac Mac Pro 8 Sep 24, 2013 11:42 AM
Trash will not empty Hetalia MacBook Pro 1 Feb 21, 2013 04:50 PM
cannot totally empty trash, says I do not have permission Sossity Mac Basics and Help 1 Dec 21, 2012 08:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC