Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Just searched the forum, and didn't come across a Fuji X100S thread. Has anyone pre-ordered the camera? I did on the first day, and it should be arriving sometime during March. Can't wait!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I haven't pre-ordered one, but it's 90 % likely I'll get one. I just want to try them out first and see how much better the AF performance has gotten.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I really like the idea but I found the original X100 a bit frustrating when I tried one in a shop. The difference between the optical and electronic viewfinder FoV was really annoying, the menus were terrible. And for what it is it's too big. It's almost as big as an M9 and that has a full-frame sensor and a lens mount!

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I really like the idea but I found the original X100 a bit frustrating when I tried one in a shop. The difference between the optical and electronic viewfinder FoV was really annoying, the menus were terrible. And for what it is it's too big. It's almost as big as an M9 and that has a full-frame sensor and a lens mount!

I hope the X100S won't disappoint. I loved the hybrid VF on the X-Pro1, which I used to own. Haven't seen an X100 or M9 in person before, but I have to agree that the M9 is an absolute marvel of engineering. Very nice piece of equipment, but it does cost MUCH MORE than the Fuji.

farbRausch

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I've bought a used X100. Fuji improved the camera a lot using firmware updates. Manual focus still unusable (imo). It has quirks, but the lens is absolutely fantastic. Really great bokeh & sharp. It performs really well wide open and I suspect I had to pay a lot for a lens like this for my Nikon DSLR. For me it's almost a lens with an attached body :)
People say the X100S will have less quirks and usable MF, faster AF. Hence, it will be an awesome camera.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I hope the X100S won't disappoint. I loved the hybrid VF on the X-Pro1, which I used to own. Haven't seen an X100 or M9 in person before, but I have to agree that the M9 is an absolute marvel of engineering. Very nice piece of equipment, but it does cost MUCH MORE than the Fuji.

It does cost much more but I feel the X100 (and s) could be smaller and more pocketable. Look at the (again much more expensive) RX1. It has a much larger sensor (which is where the price is), a comparable lens and is much smaller.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
It does cost much more but I feel the X100 (and s) could be smaller and more pocketable. Look at the (again much more expensive) RX1. It has a much larger sensor (which is where the price is), a comparable lens and is much smaller.

I haven't had a chance to handle the RX1 yet, but the X100 size is perfect for me. Fits in my hand well, though not as small as the RX1. I actually ordered a X100 today to hold me over until the X100S shipping date late March. Figured I'd get a few weeks in with the X100 to get used to the controls and whatnot.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I've got it preordered. Going to use it for my street photography cam. I usually use a DSLR but now I think my D800 is way too big to be "in the shadows" and an observer of a scene. It also be my everyday cam as well. I wish Sony made the RX1 with a viewfinder. That would have been it for my Nikon gear.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I've got it preordered. Going to use it for my street photography cam. I usually use a DSLR but now I think my D800 is way too big to be "in the shadows" and an observer of a scene. It also be my everyday cam as well. I wish Sony made the RX1 with a viewfinder. That would have been it for my Nikon gear.

You can buy a OVF or EVF attachment for the RX1 but they are very expensive.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
You can buy a OVF or EVF attachment for the RX1 but they are very expensive.

I know. $500-600 for a viewfinder is ridiculous. Sony really likes to nickel and dime their customers for proprietary accessories.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've had a chance to play with the X100s in a store last weekend. In a sense, it's exactly what you'd expect: it's virtually indistinguishable from the X100, it feels a lot faster, things like switching on the camera or waking it up from sleep are so fast that I don't think they're an issue in practical applications. Likewise, the AF feels much faster, although I don't know how it handles in low light (the store was very well-lit).

On the other hand, it was displayed right next to an X-E1, and the X-E1 body was significantly cheaper, 80,000 ¥ vs. 115,000 ¥ for the X100s.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Hopefully mine will arrive by the end of the month. I think the X100S and XE-1 are targeted towards two different markets. X100S is perfect for the stuff I like to shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.