Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah you know another way to judge the screen ? Look at it. If you can't see the difference then you just don't want to

Difference like between SD and HD? Do you see THAT difference between mini and N7? Sincerely?

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
For some things yes like web browsing but for others like viewing pics the mini is quite good and not nearly as bad as the previous poster said. Overall the mini is better than the n7

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For some things yes like web browsing

You meant text? Are your math OK? Please do this: SD 640x480, HD 1920x1080. What is the difference? Now tell me again how different of ppi between mini and N7 and clarify if you pulled your "opinion" out of your ...

Last edited:

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
look pal the two screens are not the same, the N7 is better than the mini, if you can't understand that then i don't care, some people get so upset over silly things and where did i say just text? please i will wait for that discovery thanks. every objective reviewer has said the two screens are not equal so go argue your nonsense with them i am done

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
look pal the two screens are not the same, the N7 is better than the mini, if you can't understand that then i don't care, some people get so upset over silly things and where did i say just text? please i will wait for that discovery thanks

Who said N7 screen is not better. I'm saying if its difference matters? If it's THAT great like SD/HD that YOU yourselves claimed then surely it DOES matter. So what is it? Did you finish your calculation?

Last edited:

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
No the two 720 TVs have the same resolution the nexus 7 and mini do not so comparing the two is not the same
It is the same. The difference is down to the size of the pixels, nothing more.

The Nexus 7 has a smaller screen that's a little wider. The iPad mini has a larger screen that's not as wide. They have similar overall resolution when accounting for the aspect ratio difference.

If the Nexus 7 were a Nexus 8 instead, it'd most likely have the same 1280x800 resolution at a more similar 186ppi. Alternatively, had the iPad mini been offered at 7", it'd have about 184ppi, also quite a bit closer to what the other tablets offer.

You see the same thing in desktop monitors--most 20, 24, 27 inch monitors are all 1920x1080 now. The larger screens have bigger pixels. Contrary to what you might think reading these forums, 99% of the screens out there are not retina. It is not anything like an HD-SD switch, and it's not a quality difference. It's a resolution difference.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I don't have to justify anything to anyone. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the mini. Have a nice day.

----------

Went with the dark grey smart cover.

Congrats on the mini!! I'm on my ipad 4 coming from a returned mini and I'm nearly fed up with my ipad 4 to the point of going back to the store and rebuying the mini, AGAIN!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The mini is a fantastic device and I'm very pleased that apple finally released a 7" tablet. :D

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Awesome. I love mine as well. Hands down the best gadget I've ever owned.

Did you get a case yet? I just got one of the smart covers from Apple but am thinking of returning it for something that also protects the back.

What about screen protectors? I haven't gotten one yet but am on the fence about doing so.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

Did you get a case yet? I just got one of the smart covers from Apple but am thinking of returning it for something that also protects the back.

What about screen protectors? I haven't gotten one yet but am on the fence about doing so.

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I have the Smart Cover and am using a skin to protect the back from scratches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich

I bought the Apple smart cover. I am looking for something for the back.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
the screen is not as nice, that is a fact not an opinion, there may be a problem with that person's eyes where they can not notice a difference, but that is a separate issue

That is an opinion as well as a fact. You DO realize that it has the same resolution as the iPad 1 and 2? Until the iPad 3 came out this resolution screen made the iPad the greatest hing since sliced bread. Even though it is the same resolution the pixels are in a more compact space and therefore they look even better than their larger cousins. Everyone was perfectly fine with the iPad before the retina was introduced on the iPad 3 and for most people the screen is absolutely fine.

I have used an iPhone 4 and 5 since they were released and an iPad 3 since the summer, so I am very familiar and used to the retina display. I see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with the iPad mini screen at all and I love my iPad mini.

I ended up getting the black/slate model with the (product) red cover. It looks really great together.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Not a Retina vs Non-Retina Discussion

i think there are some Minis out there with hazy/blurry screens that have nothing to do with the resolution or PPI. this could be due to anti-reflective coatings that were improperly applied which yield a hazy finish on the screen similar to the Lenovo X120e when they switched screen suppliers mid-production cycle. i wish i took a picture of what i am referring to, but i saw the same kind of screen defect on the iPad Mini display models as i did on the Lenovo X120e i used to own. at first i thought it was grease so i wiped the screen and it stayed the same. i tried a co-worker's iPad Mini and it also seemed to have a hazy screen. yet the 16GB iPad Mini i bought for my girlfriend seems fine. i think there is a QC issue with the display in the Mini and people are confusing the display defect with thinking that the resolution/PPI is to blame.

the appearance of the hazy coating is minimized if you turn down the brightness, but still noticeable. again, this is a defect that likely doesn't affect most iPad Minis but still a significant amount by Apple standards.

perhaps this is what many people are seeing, confusing it for the fact it's non-Retina and thinking that is the cause.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0069.PNG
    IMG_0069.PNG
    357.8 KB · Views: 82

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
i think there are some Minis out there with hazy/blurry screens that have nothing to do with the resolution or PPI. this could be due to anti-reflective coatings that were improperly applied which yield a hazy finish on the screen similar to the Lenovo X120e when they switched screen suppliers mid-production cycle. i wish i took a picture of what i am referring to, but i saw the same kind of screen defect on the iPad Mini display models as i did on the Lenovo X120e i used to own. at first i thought it was grease so i wiped the screen and it stayed the same. i tried a co-worker's iPad Mini and it also seemed to have a hazy screen. yet the 16GB iPad Mini i bought for my girlfriend seems fine. i think there is a QC issue with the display in the Mini and people are confusing the display defect with thinking that the resolution/PPI is to blame.

the appearance of the hazy coating is minimized if you turn down the brightness, but still noticeable. again, this is a defect that likely doesn't affect most iPad Minis but still a significant amount by Apple standards.

perhaps this is what many people are seeing, confusing it for the fact it's non-Retina and thinking that is the cause.

that's very interesting. anyone else seeing this? I just ordered my mini today.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

there were several others in a thread started ~ 2-3 days after the Mini wifi launch. you will have to dig deep through the several pages of threads between now and then

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

If its a hazy/blurry screen, then you have a defective Mini screen. Mine and others on display at my Apple store had none of that.

I noticed several here since Launch day mentioned blur or haze thinking that's just how the Mini screen is but it is not normal.

Definitely return and exchange if you get one with a bad screen

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
For some things yes like web browsing but for others like viewing pics the mini is quite good and not nearly as bad as the previous poster said. Overall the mini is better than the n7

SD versus HD is a stupid comparison.

If you reallly need an analogy - maybe 720p HD versus 1080p HD - but even that is a stretch. The res is pretty close, the PPI difference is driven primarily by the screen size. So maybe a better analogy is would you want to get a 42inch TV over a 37inch TV, since the PPI is worse on the 42.

I see a huge difference difference between my iPad 2 and 3 in perceived sharpness. I played with a mini this morning for 30 mins or so, the difference was not nearly as pronounced, I assume due to the PPI gap shrinking. That being said, I still saw a noticeable difference in Mini vs the 3, but not enough to keep me from getting one. Retina would be amazing on the mini though.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
If its a hazy/blurry screen, then you have a defective Mini screen. Mine and others on display at my Apple store had none of that.

I noticed several here since Launch day mentioned blur or haze thinking that's just how the Mini screen is but it is not normal.

Definitely return and exchange if you get one with a bad screen

yeah that's what i was telling people above. i think there are people here who are mistaking a blurry/hazy screen defect at higher brightness with the excuse of "oh this screen sucks bc it's not retina"

next time i see my co-worker's Mini i will take a picture of it to show everyone what i have come across on both his and a display model at my local Apple Store. i don't know how to describe it other than what happened with Lenovo when they switched screen suppliers mid-production cycle on the Lenovo X120e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.