Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekmore

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
you can't import an avi or any other file except the apple formats into itunes.
you need to install perian and then create a reference file to the actual video using quicktime pro. the reference file will be a few kilobytes, and you can import that into itunes. when itunes plays the file, the reference file tells it where the avi file is and starts playing it. a bit convoluted but works well, especially if you want to use frontrow + itunes instead of just frontrow + movies folder.

Laurenz

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
or with QuickTime Pro (with Perian installed) save as a reference file (very small file size, like an alias) and then copy that to your iTunes movie library Important: dont move the original AVI as it is referenced.

Lets make it a bit clearer. The Perian component package allows QT 7 based applications play many common AVI A/V compression format combinations. Such apps may include the QT 7 Player, GarageBand, and iTunes. In the case of iTunes, whether or not the AVI compressed data will play depends on two things— the file container and the operating system.

For instance, Leopard and Snow Leopard will play the data if you can get the files to import to iTunes. This usually means the data must be re-wrapped to an MOV file container before import. Unfortunately, iTunes on Lion and Mountain Lion will not import most common AVI compressed data compression formats in either the AVI or the MOV file container type.

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Smartconverter works really well to convert almost any format into something iTunes can process if you don't wanna run handbrake. It's also a free app that does the same thing and doesn't take up as many resources.

Jessyel

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I have three Apple TV's (two 3rd gen, one 1st.) Based on my WiFi traffic, AirPlay only streams games from portable IOS devices. For media streams, the URL and login data are sent to Apple TV, which streams content itself. Otherwise, you'd be spending twice as much bandwidth (streaming the same movie twice), and drain your iPad's batteries in short order.

This is an educated guess, of course, since I do not work for Apple. But my own monitors confirm that once the iPad establishes a connection, further traffic is going directly from the media source to the Apple TV, and not thorugh my iPad. As for AVI files, a quick run through Handbrake will convert them into useable media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.