Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Testing by Jeppesen has cleared the iPad 4 and mini for use up to 51,000ft

This is NOT 51,000 ft inside a pressurized airplane, this is
SUDDEN DECOMPRESSION from atmospheric pressures of 0 to 8000 ft (simulated cabin pressure) to 51,000ft in less then 1/2 a second!! :eek: :eek:
Any air inside the iPad's will be violently expelled when it suddenly has about 1/7 of the outside pressure on it, and suffer instant condensation inside and outside the device.
Finally the ingress of more humid air is forced in as the pressure returns to sea level.

Arguably this test is much more through and demanding then drop tests and dunk tests.

Apple quotes for its alt as:
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

More details on earlier tests (iPad 2), and a report of said test report.

:apple:

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Not that worried about it. The chance of actually encountering a sudden decompression is near zero.

They have to worry about it. On some airplanes, the iPad is replacing some paper documents like checklists and plane manuals. They want pilots to have access to those, especially in the event of a decompression.

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
Cool to know, although if it did happen I think the last thing on my mind would be my ipad!

They have to worry about it. On some airplanes, the iPad is replacing some paper documents like checklists and plane manuals. They want pilots to have access to those, especially in the event of a decompression.

Ok, unless I was the pilot then lol

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I can see where this might be useful...

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 86

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, I would think sudden decompression at 51,000 feet would move the iPad down your "List of Worries" pretty far. Things on that list ahead of "is my iPad working" are, for example: "is my blood boiling yet?"

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

That's actually a good point. Just not something I have to worry about!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.