Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 22, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
P4G
macrumors newbie

EyeTV crashing on recording

Hi all,

I use a MacMini 2011 to record tv using EyeTV. It works really well, but occasionally EyeTV crashes when its recording. It appears to only happen when I turn the TV off and I am guessing it is because the MacMini is then changing the screen resolution which is somehow upsetting EyeTV.

The MM is connected to a receiver via HDMI which is then connected to the tv also via HDMI.

Any ideas on how to stop the MM from changing the screen resolution?

Cheers,
Old May 22, 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
TinHead88
macrumors regular

Try Elgato support. They might know what's going on. I've been having a different problem with EyeTV where the recordings just keep going despite the correct settings for start and duration. I removed logmein (a VNC tool) and things seem to be back to normal.

Take a look at any apps that might be causing a conflict. I have not found any problems with the screen being on or off and EyeTV on my mac mini setup.
TinHead88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 07:03 AM   #3
EvilC5
macrumors 6502a

good luck getting a real answer from Elgato forum's, I was having issues and posted my problem over there and never really got any answer other than send logs.

I reverted back to a much older version on the eyetv software and it fixed my issue and now I just wont let it update.

I cant see why the HDMI cable would cause the issue, my eyetv is component to usb to my mini. I have a monitor hooked up via mini port and my tv hooked to it via HDMI and I cant remember it ever having this issue. Do you have "control over HDMI" on the receiver turned on?
iPhone 4, 4s, and 5.....the ihome!
EvilC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4
P4G
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. I have tried Elgato support before and they were helpful but didnt solve the problem.

I occasionally see the issue where the recording doesnt stop. Here that occurs if the EyeTV thinks I want to change channel in the middle of the recording (I a guessing it is getting a change channel message from the remote control when I am trying to control some other device)

I use Apple Screen Sharing so if Logmein was causing a problem, then this too might be an issue.

I will have to check what the settings on the Receiver are set too.

I guess the good news is it is not a widespread issue.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
TinHead88
macrumors regular

I use Apple Screen Sharing too but the problem of the recording not stopping only appeared after I had installed Logmein.

Also, recording is fine with the TV on or off on my setup. I have the Mac Mini connected to a Samsung Plasma via HDMI.

If you haven't already tried:
-use a different drive to test recording
-remove all traces (especially preferences) of EyeTV and reinstall clean then test with a simple recording schedule (don't use your old schedules)
TinHead88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
gfbane
macrumors newbie

Me too.

I have this issue every other day or so. it happens when I either turn my TV off or on. I keep sending the reports to EyeTV but I have not seen any responses in Elgato's forums.

I have submitted a ticket to Elgato and will update if I get any results.
gfbane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
P4G
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbane View Post
I have this issue every other day or so. it happens when I either turn my TV off or on. I keep sending the reports to EyeTV but I have not seen any responses in Elgato's forums.

I haven't seen the problem for a while, - since I moved the Mac mini away from the tv and connected it to a monitor.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
ReggaeFire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbane View Post

Oh wow. That's probably what's been going on with my EyeTV. I recently upgraded from a 2008 mini to a 2012 model and EyeTV has been a mess ever since. It never occurred to me that it might be being caused by my switching from Mini-DVI to HDMI, I just know that I have to often restart EyeTV in the evening or else nothing gets recorded.

Elgato has been useless (as always), I filed a ticket and then sent them logs and never heard a word back (other than "try reinstalling"). I'll have to experiment with this over the weekend.
ReggaeFire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:57 PM   #9
gfbane
macrumors newbie

yeah, they had me back up my setting sand then reinstall. I have done this and haven't seen the issue since. Granted there weren't that many things recording this week. I will keep an eye out to see if this is still happening or if the reinstall resolved it.

Also, I am using a mini-DVI to DVI into a DVI to HDMI adapter. I could try a DP to HDMI adapter but I don't think I should have to. Like I said if I see it happening again, I'll report back.
gfbane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater