Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Missed this post earlier AFB and I don't know if this is a dead issue at this point but...

I have a double BlackRapid strap and use it with a backpack on occasion – no problems. I find that the pack does not interfere with the camera strap. The slings on the strap hang lower at the sides and hips whereas the pack and straps hang much higher on the back and shoulders.

You just have to put the pack on last over the camera strap.

The only problem I find is that you end up looking like some sort of crazy maniacal weekend warrior with all that gear visible instead of concealed in the backpack.

I'm afraid whatever I use I'll look like a crazy person!

My daughter refers to me as a camera nerd!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I've seen belt loop/hooks with a zip line attached to the camera or something similar.

I used to do a 2 DSLR vacation trips...one was regular and the other was Infrared.

it became a weird tangle of cross carrying, especially with children.
I stopped doing the Infrared last year. it was nice but so much stuff

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've seen belt loop/hooks with a zip line attached to the camera or something similar.

I used to do a 2 DSLR vacation trips...one was regular and the other was Infrared.

When I go out its just for the photography.

The idea behind the two cameras is to reduce the number of times I have to swap lenses.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

Probably easier to take both cameras and leave the kids. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another filter for my collection and an adaptor for my tripod and Joby strap to play nice (instead of having to keep swapping).

Attachments

• Hoya.jpg
    Hoya.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Joby.jpg
    Joby.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 589

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
I've purchased quite a few gadgets and gizmos lately, so I'll post a comprehensive list and my experience.

Fotasy NSQF Anti-Slip Sling Neck Strap with Rapid Fasten:
91rbL7grL+L._SL1500_.jpg

I used to hate my old Canon strap, I never felt I could easily just sling my camera to my side and I hated it around my neck. This strap is extremely comfortable. I used it this past Sunday during an 8 hour shoot while using my T2i and 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma (a heavy lens). I picked it up for $20 on amazon and definitely recommend it to anybody who's tired of the neck straps.

Neewer 4 Channels Wireless/ Radio Flash Trigger Set With 2 Receivers:
41EPirK+bzL.jpg

This is used with my Neewer TT680 flash. Overall they do a good job and I've no issues with them not working as expected. They're very easy to setup, but keep in mind prior to purchasing these that TTL is not transmitted. I use these mainly when I don't want to use my on-camera flash for triggering the flashes in slave mode. These use AAA batteries. $20 on amazon

Neewer® NW680/TT680 Speedlite Flash E TTL Camera Flash:
718p0IjDU9L._SL1500_.jpg

Can't say enough good things about this flash unit. It produces amazing results and I can't see how the Canon 480ex could produce results that justify the price difference. It includes TTL, slave mode (can be trigger by other flash units), hi-speed sync (don't be limited to 1/200 shutter speed). I honestly have 0 complaints with this unit. $65 on amazon

Rainbowimaging TMC LCD Timer Remote Control for Canon:
41l6fghCr0L._SY355_.jpg

Another accessory I couldn't live without anymore. I used to use the Canon RS60 E3 cable, which does it's job perfectly, but it was not an intervalometer. This remote control is perfect for me as I use it a lot for time-lapse astrophotography, lightning photography, and long-exposure shots. It has a slight learning curve so PLEASE read the manual. $25 on amazon

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I recently purchased the RS-W1 women's Blackrapid camera strap... and it's driving me nuts. I think I just got too used to having my camera slung on one shoulder with the factory strap. It was more comfortable for long hikes, but annoying because it screws into the hole for the tripod.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

On my D300 I fasten it to a single ring on the left strap mount (magnesium chassis), no problems in 5 or so years of use like that (lenses up to 70-300 VR), hangs great and leaves the tripod mount free.

Should also mention that the key to peace of mind is the quality of the ring, I use a few jealously-guarded old Nikon triangular strap rings that they used to use on older bodies, high-tensile and very difficult to get on and off, therefore strong and secure...

Sorry about pic quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
New bag (on right) same as old one (except it's 30 years younger , is black , and doesn't have stitching separating all over plus a few holes)

newf2.jpg

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I read through the thread so far and I have yet to see the following brands:

Really Right Stuff
- for clamps, support, etc

Gura Gear
- incognito backpacks

My colleagues and I swear by these two brands. You will not be dissapointed.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Bought a new strap for the D750. Went with the Black Rapid backpack strap. Tried it at home and it seems fine. Will take it for a test drive this weekend (hopefully). If it works, I'll get a standard one to go on my other camera so they are interchangeable. Got the alternate fastener as well so I can use it with my Manfrotto tripod mount.

Attachments

• Black rapid backpack strap.jpg
    Black rapid backpack strap.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Black rapid fastener.jpg
    Black rapid fastener.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 388

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Went with the Black Rapid backpack strap.

I'm a Black Rapid fan, I have one of the early RS-4's that is still perfect - except I upgraded the early spring-clip-plus-plastic-keeper arrangement to the later screw-shut carabiner fastener. I've hung my D300 from one strap mounting for all that time without issue (D300 is a full metal chassis), and only on my 70-200/2.8 do I move the mounting to the lens tripod mount for balance.

I bought my daughter a later Black Rapid, that was about 5yrs ago, it had a different strap material to mine that tended to curl over when in use, she called them last month and told them - they sent a replacement complete strap! Looked like a temp material issue with the supplier, straps before and current don't have the issue....excellent customer service!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another one of these.
t8Tnt79oka0OlzU9XIs_yROBp9fb-J4z2ZY5ifbr2HLeYY6bqkd8qnRTgXfoXMJGtbehwlLR7iEQhTGgG9-ayoR4I1EHywDUib3yfnq78qslJW9xqpHoFsZeLSsbYxO5dKe5SCk=s0-d-e1-ft

You can never have enough, and I'm out shooting all day Saturday.

----------

Bought a new strap for the D750. Went with the Black Rapid backpack strap. Tried it at home and it seems fine. Will take it for a test drive this weekend (hopefully). If it works, I'll get a standard one to go on my other camera so they are interchangeable. Got the alternate fastener as well so I can use it with my Manfrotto tripod mount.

So just to let you know, the camera strap combined with the backpack works great, except when you come to decamp. Then you have an extra camera to take off and put somewhere whilst you fiddle with your bag. Much nicer when you use the tripod though, as you don't have a strap getting in the way.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Neewer 4 Channels Wireless/ Radio Flash Trigger Set With 2 Receivers:
View attachment 486318

This is used with my Neewer TT680 flash. Overall they do a good job and I've no issues with them not working as expected. They're very easy to setup, but keep in mind prior to purchasing these that TTL is not transmitted. I use these mainly when I don't want to use my on-camera flash for triggering the flashes in slave mode. These use AAA batteries. $20 on amazon

UPDATE: These died on me a few weeks ago. I've replaced them with the Yongnuo triggers. Do yourself a favor and avoid these. They're okay for learning about triggers, but if yuo're planning on using your triggers long term just invest in yongnuo.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Just received my Gura Gear 32L Bataflae. It's a GREAT bag...light weight considering the size and very well designed and constructed.

Attachments

• 32L_Stone_Green__29054.1406619828.1280.1280.jpg
    32L_Stone_Green__29054.1406619828.1280.1280.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 123

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Just went on my first trip with this little table-top tripod. I left my large tripod at home because I didn't want to carry the extra weight on the treks. Overall, it was pretty good, but predictably unstable when fully extended with my heavy lens on it.

velbon-ultra-maxi-mini-3-tischstativ-weiss-490739.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
UPDATE: These died on me a few weeks ago. I've replaced them with the Yongnuo triggers. Do yourself a favor and avoid these. They're okay for learning about triggers, but if yuo're planning on using your triggers long term just invest in yongnuo.

Just bought a set of these about a month ago for a class assignment. So far they are working flawless. They just died on you one day?

Just went on my first trip with this little table-top tripod. I left my large tripod at home because I didn't want to carry the extra weight on the treks. Overall, it was pretty good, but predictably unstable when fully extended with my heavy lens on it.

velbon-ultra-maxi-mini-3-tischstativ-weiss-490739.jpg

Whats your "heavy" lens? I regularly use my mini tripod with my 24-105 and that isnt a very light lens. THIS is the mini tripod i have.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Just bought a set of these about a month ago for a class assignment. So far they are working flawless. They just died on you one day?

Yes, neither one would work with a sync cable anymore to fire my strobes, the same sync cable works perfect on the Yongnuo's. It's possible the hot shoe still works, but not being able to use them with a sync cable is a complete deal breaker.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I've looked at these, and the weight is nice, but most of my lenses are too heavy for the tripod.

Really? I wouldn't be sure about using it to hold 4Kg regularly but none of my combos are that heavy, even the D300s+70-200/2.8+1.7TC doesn't come to much more than 2Kg...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Really? I wouldn't be sure about using it to hold 4Kg regularly but none of my combos are that heavy, even the D300s+70-200/2.8+1.7TC doesn't come to much more than 2Kg...

I'll get out the scales. 70-200 2.8+ 2xTC is about as heavy as I go. I was told by someone who used to work for Manfrotto it wouldn't really work with my gear. Let me know how it goes in the field and I'll see what Father Christmas brings!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.