Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hey thanks, I now feel vindicated. I received a lot of flack when I posted this idea before. If you're right then it all makes sense. :)

I did a little more research and found that "Lightning Bolt" is a AMD name for their answer to Intel's/Apple's "Thunderbolt", and it is still using the mini-display port and was discussed early in 2012. The USB-3 optical is Intel's "Light Peak" and was demonstrated in 2010. Intel also has a "Optical Thunderbolt", again part of the mini-display port and was discussed in Jan. of 2012.

I don't know which, if any, of these products will actually see product usage any time soon. They all are seeking higher speeds with cheaper cables.

so ... now back to the scheduled thread about Thunderbolt ... :)

-howard

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Excellent! Maybe now my Thunderbolt display will stop flickering randomly sometimes after I plug it in...

Kingsley Aghedo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1 addresses an issue with MacBook Pro models released in mid-2012 “and some Thunderbolt cables that may prevent bus-powered Thunderbolt devices from functioning properly,” according to Apple’s Support site.

Incremented once since its original release, the Thunderbolt Firmware Update weighs in at just 442 KB and applies to Macs running OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later (including Mountain Lion).

The firmware installation wizard supports multiple languages, including Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Dansk, Norsk Bokmål, Polski, Português, Português Brasileiro, Pусский, Suomi, Svensk, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

MacBook Pro mid-2012 customers can either download the installer package manually (via the link below) or summon it through the Updates tab in the Mac App Store.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Fk up

Well this update had fked up my 13" mid 2012 MBP. After applying the "fix" my system boots to a flashing folder and question mark. Apples website helpfully says reapply the patch. How do you do that when you cant boot ?

:mad:

EDIT : After some work, it looks like its screwed up my after market SSD. The last block is not writable.

Last edited:

happy-fish

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Bad fix for me

After applying the so-called fix (through the software update) to my mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro, I can't connect my external Dell U2711 (by mini display-port to display port cable) anymore.

At first, I got a bizarre resolution for the Dell and after trying to adjust the resolution, the Dell turned black and did not display a signal anymore.

Does anyone know if I can re-install the previous Thunderbolt firmware? How?
I have no need for Thunderbolt peripherals yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.