Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:47 AM   #26
motrek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrag View Post
ActionableMango hit the spot, you don't have to defend the method you choose, I posted that question because I am getting a SSD and would like to understand why you chose to have it in the enclosure.

I will be using the SSD for the OS, and I prefer to have it internally, and I suppose the speed gain is best when inside. The HDD is going to an external USB3 enclosure.
Well, I suppose if you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling your Mini to install and/or remove a drive, then you might as well put the SSD in internally and put the hard drive in an enclosure.

For me, there isn't really a disadvantage to just plugging in the SSD externally. Also I have the benefit that if I decide to take my Mini anywhere, the hard drive is installed internally and partitioned such that I can use normally...
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:58 AM   #27
madrag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Well, I suppose if you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling your Mini to install and/or remove a drive, then you might as well put the SSD in internally and put the hard drive in an enclosure.

For me, there isn't really a disadvantage to just plugging in the SSD externally. Also I have the benefit that if I decide to take my Mini anywhere, the hard drive is installed internally and partitioned such that I can use normally...
I thought of that, my only concern is that I think the speed benefit is best if I swap the internal HDD for the SSD, but in terms of ease of operation, your way is better, I will try that first, I won't loose anything really.
madrag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:37 AM   #28
uncleMonty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude39 View Post
you don't have to buy the tool kit but you do need the extra SATA cable unless you are just removing/replacing the internal HDD then you don't need the cable.
If I'm taking out a HD and putting in two SSDs, I only need to purchase one kit, right? And is that because there's already one cable in there for the original HD which I can use for one of the SSDs - or because one of the bays is set up so you don't need a cable, you just connect directly or something?
uncleMonty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:21 AM   #29
southerndude39
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleMonty View Post
If I'm taking out a HD and putting in two SSDs, I only need to purchase one kit, right? And is that because there's already one cable in there for the original HD which I can use for one of the SSDs - or because one of the bays is set up so you don't need a cable, you just connect directly or something?
Correct... if you are just replacing the existing HD you will only need the one kit with the extra SATA cable.
southerndude39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #30
iWeekend
macrumors regular

Quote:

The install videos (this one is at owc, the other you can find is at ifixit.com) might help you.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvid...c_mini2012_hd/
iWeekend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:39 PM   #31
uncleMonty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWeekend View Post
The install videos (this one is at owc, the other you can find is at ifixit.com) might help you.
http://eshop.macsales.com/installvid...c_mini2012_hd/
Yes, I've seen that video, or the same one at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WL3Q7UujI . At the step towards the end where they replace the original drive (it's at around 7'45" in that video, they set it in place then ask you to attach the SATA cable. If I'm putting in another 3rd-party SSD there instead of the Apple HD, will it have that same SATA cable included?

Last edited by uncleMonty; Dec 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added link to youtube
uncleMonty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:21 AM   #32
niteflyr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, I've seen that video, or the same one at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WL3Q7UujI . At the step towards the end where they replace the original drive (it's at around 7'45" in that video, they set it in place then ask you to attach the SATA cable. If I'm putting in another 3rd-party SSD there instead of the Apple HD, will it have that same SATA cable included?
No. You will have to use the sata cable from the original HDD. The kit only includes 1 cable.
niteflyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini