Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
ActionableMango hit the spot, you don't have to defend the method you choose, I posted that question because I am getting a SSD and would like to understand why you chose to have it in the enclosure.

I will be using the SSD for the OS, and I prefer to have it internally, and I suppose the speed gain is best when inside. The HDD is going to an external USB3 enclosure.

Well, I suppose if you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling your Mini to install and/or remove a drive, then you might as well put the SSD in internally and put the hard drive in an enclosure.

For me, there isn't really a disadvantage to just plugging in the SSD externally. Also I have the benefit that if I decide to take my Mini anywhere, the hard drive is installed internally and partitioned such that I can use normally...

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Well, I suppose if you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling your Mini to install and/or remove a drive, then you might as well put the SSD in internally and put the hard drive in an enclosure.

For me, there isn't really a disadvantage to just plugging in the SSD externally. Also I have the benefit that if I decide to take my Mini anywhere, the hard drive is installed internally and partitioned such that I can use normally...

I thought of that, my only concern is that I think the speed benefit is best if I swap the internal HDD for the SSD, but in terms of ease of operation, your way is better, I will try that first, I won't loose anything really.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
you don't have to buy the tool kit but you do need the extra SATA cable unless you are just removing/replacing the internal HDD then you don't need the cable.

If I'm taking out a HD and putting in two SSDs, I only need to purchase one kit, right? And is that because there's already one cable in there for the original HD which I can use for one of the SSDs - or because one of the bays is set up so you don't need a cable, you just connect directly or something?

southerndude39

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
If I'm taking out a HD and putting in two SSDs, I only need to purchase one kit, right? And is that because there's already one cable in there for the original HD which I can use for one of the SSDs - or because one of the bays is set up so you don't need a cable, you just connect directly or something?

Correct... if you are just replacing the existing HD you will only need the one kit with the extra SATA cable.

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012

The install videos (this one is at owc, the other you can find is at ifixit.com) might help you.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012_hd/

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
The install videos (this one is at owc, the other you can find is at ifixit.com) might help you.
http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012_hd/

Yes, I've seen that video, or the same one at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WL3Q7UujI . At the step towards the end where they replace the original drive (it's at around 7'45" in that video, they set it in place then ask you to attach the SATA cable. If I'm putting in another 3rd-party SSD there instead of the Apple HD, will it have that same SATA cable included?

Last edited:

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Yes, I've seen that video, or the same one at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WL3Q7UujI . At the step towards the end where they replace the original drive (it's at around 7'45" in that video, they set it in place then ask you to attach the SATA cable. If I'm putting in another 3rd-party SSD there instead of the Apple HD, will it have that same SATA cable included?

No. You will have to use the sata cable from the original HDD. The kit only includes 1 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.