Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Just a minor FYI - I was watching some YouTube (H.264, not flash) in full screen via Safari the other day, and every few seconds it would slow down in a very noticeable fashion - even stopping for a few hundred milleseconds.

I happened to have another Safari window open to the home page of MacRumors, and sure enough, the slowdown matched when the thingy did its thing.

Killed that Safari window and all became well on the H.264 video side.

Again, just an FYI, I'm not thinking there's anything to address or fix, more of a community announcement.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
...is a distraction. Looks like an ad (i.e. not very clean). “Roundups” is a much cleaner solution, IMHO.

There is the option to minimize it with the little arrow. Does that work better for you? I believe the aim for this new feature is to try to help less-frequent visitors stay on top of the biggest developments.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
There is the option to minimize it with the little arrow. Does that work better for you? I believe the aim for this new feature is to try to help less-frequent visitors stay on top of the biggest developments.
Yeah, and it requires one additional click. It is still like an ad. Click on it, then it does something. I ignore it for now.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I expected such an answer. ;-)

If you visit MR 50.000 times in one year, then this are 50.000 unnecessary clicks.

The click is stored in a cookie. So it results in 1 extra click depending on how long the cookie is stored (couple of months I think).

The whole block is a work in progress. It will likely change and come and go. Right now we are testing it, and seeing how it's used (tracking how many times its clicked).

arn

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The click is stored in a cookie. So it results in 1 extra click depending on how long the cookie is stored (couple of months I think).

The whole block is a work in progress. It will likely change and come and go. Right now we are testing it, and seeing how it's used (tracking how many times its clicked).
OK thanks for the info! iCalm down-a bit. ;-)

----------

So you visit MR 136.99 times a day??:eek:
136.986301369863014 times/day.

Possibly a teeny bit of exaggeration??
Exaggeration? This is the truth! ;-)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

arn

IT"S BAAAAACCKK!!:eek:

Attachments

• it back.png
    it back.png
    380.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.