Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere? :rolleyes:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere? :rolleyes:

A lot of people have been saying September- November release and it makes sense but there is increasing evidence that release for both ipad 5 and mini 2 could be as early as April. I think a summer release is looking most likely.

Last edited:

Matt606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
London

i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion

They normally start assembly of the units themselves 3 months before launch so parts assembly will start over 4 months before launch. If they've just started the screen production, it won't be out by March, it would be April at earliest. Mass production on an Apple scale is huge and takes months.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
So Apple is going to release a new mini only a few months after the original's release?? Highly unlikely. Don't expect it to come out any earlier than July

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?

The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.

Matt606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
London
The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.

but surely u gotta take into account the cheaper and more efficient manufacturing processes, just like with every piece tech it becomes cheaper as it becomes more of a widespread standard. the retina screen for example isnt really everything special now, as everyone is producing high ppi screens

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
but surely u gotta take into account the cheaper and more efficient manufacturing processes, just like with every piece tech it becomes cheaper as it becomes more of a widespread standard. the retina screen for example isnt really everything special now, as everyone is producing high ppi screens

Yes but putting a high ppi screen in a tablet that small and light has never been done before and is not easy to do. It would require new technologies to be able to do that.

Matt606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
London
Yes but putting a high ppi screen in a tablet that small and light has never been done before and is not easy to do. It would require new technologies to be able to do that.

you could say the exact same thing about the iPhone 4, nothing t the time had anything of that high ppi, yet they also managed to make the thinest smartphone at that time.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

How do you know they compromised by using the A5 chip? I'm betting it was intentional, as the A6 is in the iPhone 5, a device much smaller than the iPad mini. Everything else you said is also true of both the iPad and iPhone transitions to Retina, yet the price didn't increase there either. They even made the iPhone 4 thinner than the 3GS while simultaneously adding the Retina Display.

None of those reasons really support the argument that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. I'm not saying it's impossible, but historically Apple hasn't done this and I don't see any compelling reasons why they would.

What is your source of information? Is this all your assumption, or do you have something specific telling you this? The Nexus7 is about the same size as the iPad mini, roughly the same weight, has a higher resolution screen, and is cheaper.

Either give us something substantial, or stop stating your opinion as if it were fact.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I agree, the fact that the mini came out slightly over priced (as people here thought) then this retina change could be included in the current price when it eventually comes out. I too think the price will stay the same, based on the history of other iOS devices.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
How do you know they compromised by using the A5 chip? I'm betting it was intentional, as the A6 is in the iPhone 5, a device much smaller than the iPad mini. Everything else you said is also true of both the iPad and iPhone transitions to Retina, yet the price didn't increase there either. They even made the iPhone 4 thinner than the 3GS while simultaneously adding the Retina Display.

None of those reasons really support the argument that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. I'm not saying it's impossible, but historically Apple hasn't done this and I don't see any compelling reasons why they would.

What is your source of information? Is this all your assumption, or do you have something specific telling you this? The Nexus7 is about the same size as the iPad mini, roughly the same weight, has a higher resolution screen, and is cheaper.

Either give us something substantial, or stop stating your opinion as if it were fact.

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. I have no reliable sources to claim this, nor am I claiming this as hard fact.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I agree, the fact that the mini came out slightly over priced (as people here thought) then this retina change could be included in the current price when it eventually comes out. I too think the price will stay the same, based on the history of other iOS devices.

This was my thinking as well. I thought they used the slightly higher price to plan ahead for the retina screen so they wouldn't have to change prices.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.

Or remember when the iPhone and iPad went retina and there were no price increases to speak of?

When you speak of the notebooks, one must consider the transition from HDD to flash in the price increase.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Or remember when the iPhone and iPad went retina and there were no price increases to speak of?

When you speak of the notebooks, one must consider the transition from HDD to flash in the price increase.

So in the same way could one consider a transition to a different screen technology such as IGZO?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

Remember the releases of the iPhone 4, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod Touch? Remember how there was no price bump? A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines. That comparison is like following a change in Honda's cars and somehow expecting a corresponding change in their motorcycle line when there has been no previous correlation.

So in the same way could one consider a transition to a different screen technology such as IGZO?

Possibly. Sharp claims that the manufacturing process for IGZO should be insignificantly different from existing LCD manufacturing processes, so theoretically there shouldn't be a price bump. Only time will tell, though.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Remember the releases of the iPhone 4, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod Touch? Remember how there was no price bump? A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines. That comparison is like following a change in Honda's cars and somehow expecting a corresponding change in their motorcycle line when there has been no previous correlation.

Possibly. Sharp claims that the manufacturing process for IGZO should be insignificantly different from existing LCD manufacturing processes, so theoretically there shouldn't be a price bump. Only time will tell, though.

I think they are difficult to mass produce at the moment and currently igzo products are only available in Japan. Theoretically, wouldnt this make it more expensive? See http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/11/29/sharps-trump-card-igzo-screen-technology/
Although this article claims ipad uses igzo screens which is clearly not true.

Last edited:

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Bring! I think ( hope :p ) new Retina Mini in March and they keep the old and sell it for less maybe even 200 dollars to compete with Google Nexus 7.

That way we have a choice; Heavier and more expensive retina og less weight and money for the regular ipad mini. ;)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines.

Not to mention, the 15" rMBP was the same price as a matching spec cMBP (i.e., SSD, matching CPU, etc.).

The 13 rMBP was more expensive than the matching spec'ed cMBP and Apple saw the need to reduce the price, and once again, the cM and rM are the same price when configured the same.

That being said, I'm not totally convinced Apple won't bump the price, possibly even both ways to create a clear feature-to-price distance - i.e., 16GB rMini at $399, 16GB cMini at $299 ($30 price drop).

So 16GB models:

$299 cMini
$399 rMini
$499 riPad

... and finally, goodbye completely to the iPad 2 (and another 30pin device, still using the old spec FFC, WiFi, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.