Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
So we know that the Mini actually DOES have stereo speakers (... yay !).

But the $64,000 question is: are they any good ?

Could somebody on the forum who actually owns one confirm whether they are good enough to use with (say) slingplayer in the Kitchen - as an ad-hoc (small) television.

Thanks...

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
So we know that the Mini actually DOES have stereo speakers (... yay !).

But the $64,000 question is: are they any good ?

Could somebody on the forum who actually owns one confirm whether they are good enough to use with (say) slingplayer in the Kitchen - as an ad-hoc (small) television.

Thanks...

Depends on what your definition of "good enough" is. Is any other iPad good enough?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
the surface rt has non existent speakers

the ipad 9.7" has really loud speakers

i hope the mini is good

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
the surface rt has non existent speakers

the ipad 9.7" has really loud speakers

i hope the mini is good

I don't like how the speakers on the full sized iPad are basically on the back of the device. It sends sound away and I have to cup it at times to hear better.

I like that on the mini, it is like the iPhone, not angled towards the back.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I don't like how the speakers on the full sized iPad are basically on the back of the device. It sends sound away and I have to cup it at times to hear better.

I like that on the mini, it is like the iPhone, not angled towards the back.

Is it loud enough to watch a movie on fairly comfortably, for example, with a relatively quiet background?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Hope Apple will include some front speakers to the next upgrade, but will not hold my breath on that. Nexus 10 has them in front but will not buy that tablet. Apple should understand front facing speakers are much better for the user over the rear speakers. Reason I returned my iPad 3. :(

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I was impressed with both the volume and sound quality with the first song I played.

Keep in mind that this is relative to built in speakers. Not comparing to my Polk Audio and Paradigm home speakers.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
iPad mini speakers are better than ipad and iPhone speaker in my opinion. Not at tinny

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Has it actually been proven out that they are stereo speakers? I've seen the teardown where they show that it's two speakers, but have there been tests to show that they're setup in a stereo configuration? I'm not denouncing it, I just haven't seen it proven out yet. All of the reports I saw just pointed out that it was two speakers and assumed they were setup in stereo.

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Relatively low volume but quite clear sound. Of course they lack of low frequencies, since there is no "body" to amplify the basses.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
The sound quality is very good. It's a very crisp, clear sound and it can get fairly loud. I haven't used it much for music, but movies sound good. One complaint is that both speakers are on the same side of the device, so when you watch a movie it sounds obvious that there is sound on one side and not the other. Hopefully next time they can put one speaker on top and one on bottom (or something like that.)

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Yes, stereo speakers were confirmed.
Not even as good as iPhone speakers though.

Do you have a link to the test that confirmed it? I've only seen reports that show two speakers and make the assumption that its stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.