Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickH88

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Florida
If I'm going to be editing a lot of video in FCP 7 (not X) as a prospective Film student (it's what my college teaches on), just how much, if any, difference am I going to experience between having 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM?

Also, since FCP7 is not Retina-optimized, would a Retina display not be particularly useful to me, or even detrimental (though I'd still be able to play HD videos in a higher resolution)? I'm thinking of getting a new MBP and am leaning towards the non-Retina model. I understand that the rMBP has an improved thermal system though... how much of a difference would this make for editing in FCP7?

Thanks!

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Hi,

I use a rMBP for heavy-duty FCX editing. I have 16 Gb but FCX uses only a small part of that (about 500 Mb). It is very rare to see more than 4 Gb of RAM in use, and that is including iTunes and Safari. So looking back 8 Gb would have been more than enough. The only real difference you will notice is that it takes more time for the 16 Gb to start up after sleep. The 'instant on' on the 16 Gb is not that instant.
The rMBP has a superior cooling system in comparison to the classic MBP. For instance if my MBP renders a long video, say 2 hours of rendering, it gets a bit more noisy and gets warm. But it never gets loud and it never gets uncomfortably hot. Reviews of the MBP show that it gets very hot and very noisy under those conditions.
I have no problems with the retina screen, it looks great and is a pleasure to work with.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
FCP 7 itself can't access more than two or three gigs of RAM. The extra RAM can be helpful when running other programs but it won't help you with FCP7.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
If I'm going to be editing a lot of video in FCP 7 (not X) as a prospective Film student (it's what my college teaches on), just how much, if any, difference am I going to experience between having 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM?

FCP7 is a 32bit application, meaning it can't address anything higher than 4GB of RAM. So unless you're running a bunch of other applications on your new laptop, you're unlikely to see a difference between 8 and 16GB.

That said: I'm always all about maximizing RAM because you just never know when you can use it. So with that, I'd recommend maxing it.

jas

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Right, FCP7 is a 32 bit app and won't address all that RAM. Premiere Pro will, as it is a 64 bit app.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Right, FCP7 is a 32 bit app and won't address all that RAM. Premiere Pro will, as it is a 64 bit app.

Premiere is also recommended as a 'prospective' film student. It's not worth learning FCP7, It's redundant.

Learn Premiere, which is stunning... or FCPX if budget is limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.