Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
blackfx35
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Apple TV and Pandora?

Does anyone know if there is a way to stream music from www.pandora.com to my AppleTV? Ultimately, I want to be able to enjoy Pandora on my home theater system, which my Apple TV is attached to. Thanks in advance.
blackfx35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
tom1971
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
You can install Couchsurfer and then it should work.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:06 PM   #3
blackfx35
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1971 View Post
You can install Couchsurfer and then it should work.
Thanks, in a nutshell, what is Couchsurfer? Does it void the AppleTV warranty? Or prevent customer support on it? Thanks again.
blackfx35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
frankiepdx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland OR
Couchsurfer would require you to hack the Apple TV. What I do is stream from my Macbook to the ATV. I use a program called Airfoil. It streams any audio you have on your mac to Airtunes. It's available for Windows also but I have no experience with that. Great program. I do believe you can demo it, with limitations of course.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Last edited by frankiepdx; Jul 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
frankiepdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:41 PM   #5
blackfx35
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepdx View Post
Couchsurfer would require you to hack the Apple TV. What I do is stream from my Macbook to the ATV. I use a program called Airfoil. It streams any audio you have on your mac to Airtunes. It's available for Windows also but I have no experience with that. Great program. I do believe you can demo it, with limitations of course.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/
Thanks, seems to be working wonderfully (I bought the program). The only negative I see, is that my TV has to be turned on. This probably isn't a negative to the Airfoil program, rather, the result of using HDMI cables to connect AppleTV to my receiver (I understand with HDMI there has to be a monitor turned on for the Audio/Video signal to go through). Anyhow, not the end of the world, I can just show a slideshow of my 8 week old daughter on the monitor. Thanks again.
blackfx35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:54 PM   #6
frankiepdx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfx35 View Post
Thanks, seems to be working wonderfully (I bought the program). The only negative I see, is that my TV has to be turned on. This probably isn't a negative to the Airfoil program, rather, the result of using HDMI cables to connect AppleTV to my receiver (I understand with HDMI there has to be a monitor turned on for the Audio/Video signal to go through). Anyhow, not the end of the world, I can just show a slideshow of my 8 week old daughter on the monitor. Thanks again.

Have you tried turning off the TV? My receiver is component only and my TV is HDMI. Is it only the HDMI monitor out to the TV and the ATV into the receiver?

If that's true, that's a big downer for such spendy equipment. I was just using pandora last night over the ATV with guests over and the TV off. I'd hate to be locked into that. But at least you have a nice slideshow. Enjoy!
frankiepdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:22 PM   #7
blackfx35
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepdx View Post
Have you tried turning off the TV? My receiver is component only and my TV is HDMI. Is it only the HDMI monitor out to the TV and the ATV into the receiver?

If that's true, that's a big downer for such spendy equipment. I was just using pandora last night over the ATV with guests over and the TV off. I'd hate to be locked into that. But at least you have a nice slideshow. Enjoy!
I am running HDMI from ATV to my receiver, and then HDMI from receiver to my TV...I guess I could use component from ATV to my receiver, and that would allow me to turn off my TV (I suspect!?!?). But not sure if I would lose much quality in audio or video... thoughts?
blackfx35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:18 AM   #8
frankiepdx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfx35 View Post
I am running HDMI from ATV to my receiver, and then HDMI from receiver to my TV...I guess I could use component from ATV to my receiver, and that would allow me to turn off my TV (I suspect!?!?). But not sure if I would lose much quality in audio or video... thoughts?
I really don't think the quality would suffer. I still have my HD DVD over the Xbox 360 and it looks fantastic. Of course one cable is a thing of beauty. So if you HDMI out can convert the AV and the TV could then be turned off, it's worth a try. Especially if you have those cables lying around.

Also, did you attempt to listen to audio with the TV off yet? Your statement before said "From what you heard the TV needs to be on." I was just dying to know the answer to that. It will help with my buying decision when I upgrade from my Sony receiver.
frankiepdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
blackfx35
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepdx View Post
I really don't think the quality would suffer. I still have my HD DVD over the Xbox 360 and it looks fantastic. Of course one cable is a thing of beauty. So if you HDMI out can convert the AV and the TV could then be turned off, it's worth a try. Especially if you have those cables lying around.

Also, did you attempt to listen to audio with the TV off yet? Your statement before said "From what you heard the TV needs to be on." I was just dying to know the answer to that. It will help with my buying decision when I upgrade from my Sony receiver.
I did try with my tv turned off....it "freaked out" my appleTV, which went into a set up mode...I had to select "test", "restart" or "restore factory settings". I selected restart, and everything was fine. I am assuming this was a result of the appleTV not being able to send a signal with the TV turned off. Seems a bit strange to me, but that is what happened...
blackfx35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:00 PM   #10
frankiepdx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfx35 View Post
I did try with my tv turned off....it "freaked out" my appleTV, which went into a set up mode...I had to select "test", "restart" or "restore factory settings". I selected restart, and everything was fine. I am assuming this was a result of the appleTV not being able to send a signal with the TV turned off. Seems a bit strange to me, but that is what happened...
Yikes! That is strange. Something I will look at when I go all HDMI. Thanks for the info.
frankiepdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:36 PM   #11
theBB
macrumors 68020
 
theBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I use HDMI into DVI for my TV for the video and I use the optical audio into my receiver. I turn off my TV regularly after picking a playlist and aTV handles it fine. I've never heard such a problem and somebody must have tried an HDMI only connection for the video. I wonder what went wrong.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:34 PM   #12
bwade913
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiepdx View Post
Couchsurfer would require you to hack the Apple TV. What I do is stream from my Macbook to the ATV. I use a program called Airfoil. It streams any audio you have on your mac to Airtunes. It's available for Windows also but I have no experience with that. Great program. I do believe you can demo it, with limitations of course.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/
I have a hacked ATV w/ Couchsurfer but haven't had any luck getting Flash installed and so I can't run Pandora directly.

Instead I'm using Airfoil to stream Pandora to the ATVs (2) and use a Remote Deskstop app named RemoteTap to control the Mac Mini source from an iPhone. It all works very well.
bwade913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:56 PM   #13
frankiepdx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland OR
I'm still on Airfoil. Still loving it. My new linksys router is causing dropouts but I'll get that fixed soon enough.
frankiepdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:13 PM   #14
hand
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Add Boxee to your Apple TV

You can use the following instructions to gracefully hack your Apple TV to add the Boxee application that supports Pandora. Worked great for me. http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/
hand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:37 AM   #15
kadeschs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand View Post
You can use the following instructions to gracefully hack your Apple TV to add the Boxee application that supports Pandora. Worked great for me. http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/
That's what I'm doing and love it.
kadeschs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:44 PM   #16
mrousey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Pandora on AppleTV

Pandora is now available on Boxee. You can install aTV-usbcreator on your AppleTV to get Boxee and some other great stuff. I works great on Boxee.
mrousey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:59 PM   #17
kadeschs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
You can do it with CouchSurfer or Firefox on ATV as well. You just have to manually install the Flash Player plugins yourself and get them working. Takes some working knowledge of OSX commands. Boxee is an easier route and you gain a lot more from that software as well.
__________________
aTV 40GB, 2.3.1, USB, rTorrent, nitoTV, Firefox w/ Flash & Silverlight, Google Earth, XBMC, Boxee
iPod Touch 2G jailbroken w/ Rowmote
kadeschs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:34 PM   #18
smatt16
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Audio for appleTV

I use the optical audio output to go from applteTV to receiver and then HDMI to go from AppleTV to TV and this solves the whole leaving the tv on problem. I dont see any problems with audio and video not syncing either when I do have the tv on.
smatt16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Supernerd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yo momma's house
Just get the app Muse from the Mac App Store. Pandora streaming, with AirPlay to both Mac and ATV simultaneously. Works fine.
Supernerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple TV 2 TV Show Sorting TheCheapGeek Apple TV and Home Theater 40 Nov 21, 2012 02:47 AM
Mac Mini, Eye TV Hybird, Handbrake, Apple TV 2 sblanford Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Jan 11, 2012 09:25 PM
Apple TV and Trackpad jaxw Mac Basics and Help 2 Nov 29, 2011 02:56 PM
Best "thing" to buy to stream reliably to apple tv and ps3 Mowgli21 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Sep 6, 2011 12:43 PM
Is there likely to be a NEWER apple TV coming for 2011?? cootersgarage6 Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Dec 22, 2010 09:39 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC