Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jehoover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Looking for a software package for my imac that can allow me to take out background noise, pull vocals from the background and just overall enhance recordings whether from digital recorders, cell phones, or tape players.

Please help, there seems to be a lot of high end confusing apps for PC but I am not sure what apple has????

jehoover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Thanks

I am in law enforcement and would like to clean up some recorded conversations. Most enhancement companies just run the conversations through some filters and charge a fortune.

I heard of SoundSoap2 which seems great for removing hiss crackle etc, but trying to pull voices out of the background or remove an audio background noise that is changing may be tough.

thanks again

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
Sadly it's not out 'til Autumn but this is going to change a lot of things

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

Really though don't the police have Computer technicians or someone you can ask? Most people on will know about plugins useful to musicians.

I just say this because I have asked before about CSI style audio programmes and got a load of suggestions that were basically hiss/crackle removers but not much more.

ausdave

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks

I am in law enforcement and would like to clean up some recorded conversations. Most enhancement companies just run the conversations through some filters and charge a fortune.

I heard of SoundSoap2 which seems great for removing hiss crackle etc, but trying to pull voices out of the background or remove an audio background noise that is changing may be tough.

thanks again

You probably won't be able to buy a program that will be be able to do what you want to do out of the box.

Its often knowing where and when to use particular processes (rather than just being able to magically click a button) that is what you're probably paying for (expertise).

I had a lecturer years ago that did this stuff for the police and he had some amazing tricks up his sleave that I would never have thought of doing.

Chairman Plow

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
CT
Sadly it's not out 'til Autumn but this is going to change a lot of things

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

Really though don't the police have Computer technicians or someone you can ask? Most people on will know about plugins useful to musicians.

I just say this because I have asked before about CSI style audio programmes and got a load of suggestions that were basically hiss/crackle removers but not much more.

I heard about this a few months ago. I must have it. :cool:

andyarroncope

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Looking for a software package for my imac that can allow me to take out background noise, pull vocals from the background and just overall enhance recordings whether from digital recorders, cell phones, or tape players.

Please help, there seems to be a lot of high end confusing apps for PC but I am not sure what apple has????

I'm not sure if you've tried Garageband? It comes with most iMacs in iLife.
It has manny different Gates, enhancers, compressors and reducers. I've used it many times to enhance recorded conversations. It's good enough to pull voices that you couldn't hear in the original recording. It has a speech enhancer that will reduce noise to almost none.

Best of luck :)
-Andy Cope

P.S. (if your mac doesn't have garage band, you can download it from the app store for $15.00

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Two that have a very good reputation are:

They both run on Macs, according to their specs. I don't have anything quite that advanced myself; I often use the noise removal function in Apple's Soundtrack Pro application, which depending on the type of noise can often help.

- Martin

It looks like BIAS(Sound Soap) is out of business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.