Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Although accepted, it doesn't change the fact that typing on a virtual keyboard is still kind of terrible. It is rare to find a user who thinks that virtual keyboards are better for lengthy emails than a blackberry. On the other hand, the versatility of a 4 inch touch screen and thin device more than make up for that. But the typing still sucks.

The day when I have signal in the Subway, don't have to pay for signal on an airplane, or have 100% reliable signal on interstates are far into the future. These are very common use cases for my iPod use.

Apple tends to adopt early to help whatever they are adopting come to fruition earlier. Ie get the public used to something and they will... Get used to it. For example, the minimalist interface. Before the iPhone or even the classic more buttons was considered "better". Apple has long adopted that the less buttons the better. Even the click wheel itself is the predecessor to the tough screen. Think about the MacBook air and it's lack of optical drive. It's merely a step towards disk less software ie apps you download... Much like mp3s have done away with the CD.

Now think about Siri and the dictate to text. It's not quite there yet but they are trying to get us away from being bound by a keyboard. You just talk to it and it happens.

There was an old ad that apple did where the computer wasn't a physical thing you had to sit at anymore. It was a personal assistant you talked to like a human personal assistant and it featured things that look like concepts that are VERY similar to Siri the touch screen and FaceTime. Let me find it.

Here it is. It was made in 1987.
http://youtu.be/hb4AzF6wEoc

This is the goal. In many ways we have surpassed it. In other ways we haven't... Yet.

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
iPod Video

I've just got a black iPod video of eBay, and i've remembered how awesome they are, I got it for the car but they are such a great bit of kit, decided not to go for a classic cause i liked the super easy to scratch videos. If Apple stop making iPods like this it will be such a sad day!

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I hope Apple released a 320 GB 8 G Classic. I got so much music my 160 GB is almost full.

Yeah I am almost there too.

Found this picture in my photobucket. Love it

DSC_0091.jpg

JJorTech

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
The name says it all. It's a classic. Not a useless post at all. Reminds me of the whole point of apple since the begging. Forget the apps, the phone, the games. It was music

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I have a hardly used 5th gen 30GB iPod Video (the ones where Apple still used great DACS) I still use it when i want good quality sound.

I agree. I also had a 160gb Classic but right before it I had a 30 Video and I instantly felt the decrease in audio quality.
I still find the Wolfson chip in the Video much much better, it's airy and warm sounds like a live show.
Besides, is it just me or the click wheel on the Video is also better ? It's somehow bigger or more responsive, because I can keep my finger much closer to the OK button thus the wheel I spin is smaller thus more comfortable. It's plastic, but a more "slippery" feel, I don't know it's just faster and more precise.

Imo the video was the best iPod (classic) ever made.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Well argued case against the cloud.

Just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean its always the way forward.

Totally agree, I refuse to pay Apple more money for the privilege of storing and playing MY music, even here in Yorkshire you're far from guaranteed a reception - I've lost count of the times I've been at someone's house with my laptop and been unable to connect to their broadband, even with the password!

I'll be gutted when they drop the Classic, and will buy one the day it happens. I've got a 13000+ Itunes library organised to within an inch of sanity, and use 60+ playlists in my car, so the click wheel doesn't get used that much.

I'm getting sick of Apple trying to tell me what to do!

----------

Apple tends to adopt early to help whatever they are adopting come to fruition earlier. Ie get the public used to something and they will... Get used to it. For example, the minimalist interface. Before the iPhone or even the classic more buttons was considered "better". Apple has long adopted that the less buttons the better. Even the click wheel itself is the predecessor to the tough screen. Think about the MacBook air and it's lack of optical drive. It's merely a step towards disk less software ie apps you download... Much like mp3s have done away with the CD.

Now think about Siri and the dictate to text. It's not quite there yet but they are trying to get us away from being bound by a keyboard. You just talk to it and it happens.

There was an old ad that apple did where the computer wasn't a physical thing you had to sit at anymore. It was a personal assistant you talked to like a human personal assistant and it featured things that look like concepts that are VERY similar to Siri the touch screen and FaceTime. Let me find it.

Here it is. It was made in 1987.
http://youtu.be/hb4AzF6wEoc

This is the goal. In many ways we have surpassed it. In other ways we haven't... Yet.

Some good points, but until I'm guaranteed a fast secure signal everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go, I'm simply not interested in the cloud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.