Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Roarkist
macrumors newbie

iP5 power button issue

Im having an issue with the sleep/wake button where it wont respond when i press it. It usually works, but every 5 or so clicks it wont turn on/off, which annoys the heck outta me. I was wondering if anyone here thinks a genius would be able to help me with such a minor issue, or if im being a bit ridiculous by trying to get it fixed.
Roarkist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
aimeeinohio
macrumors regular

Not ridiculous at all!!! It should work. Are you out of warrenty? I'd get it fixed or replaced.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
grapes911

As long as you can reproduce the problem infront of the genius, I'm sure they'll fix or replace it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
noteple
macrumors 6502a

I always used the home button to wake up and was surprised my sleep wake didn't. I would get it fixed
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
jrz
macrumors member

I have an issue similar... But for me, my switch only works at all if pressed on the left side. It has been so since I bought it 2 months ago- but I have just not made time to get back to the Apple store. I think it is worth at least an ask at the genius bar. If you go, let us know your results...
jrz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Astec
macrumors newbie

mine did the same thing.

from the start out of the box, the button didnt sit firm, it had wiggle and didnt sit level, which i was somewhat ok with. Then 2 weeks ago the right side of the button went dead. Called Apple, made the appointment, genius looked at it, went back and got me another one. Took 10 mins and I was on my way. Got a week 50 production phone from the white box.
Astec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Roarkist
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys ill give it a shot and keep you updated. The iPhone is automatically covered under 1-year warranty correct?
Roarkist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarkist View Post
Thanks guys ill give it a shot and keep you updated. The iPhone is automatically covered under 1-year warranty correct?
Yes, sir.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

This has just started happening to me too. Mine is a launch day IP5 which has worked flawlessly in all respects. However the last 3-4 days I click it to wake/sleep the phone and nothing happens. Click it again and it works. Its not too bad at the moment but I would imagine it will get progressively worse.

I also have 1 dead pixel which has been there since launch (the pixels are so small I could barely see it) so I guess now is a good time to get it swapped out. Good thing Apple are super cool when it comes to faults.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Brad02
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz View Post
I have an issue similar... But for me, my switch only works at all if pressed on the left side. It has been so since I bought it 2 months ago- but I have just not made time to get back to the Apple store. I think it is worth at least an ask at the genius bar. If you go, let us know your results...
+1. Same issue on mine. Left side of button will wake/sleep but right side of button wont do anything 9/10 times.
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:18 PM   #11
jrz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
+1. Same issue on mine. Left side of button will wake/sleep but right side of button wont do anything 9/10 times.
I went back to the Apple store- before even looking at it, they told me I’d probably be getting a replacement phone. A few questions, tested it for 2 seconds, and said, “I’ll be back with a new phone.” Just like that. Simple. New phone is perfect. Take it in if you haven’t already…
jrz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Rule #1. When your under warranty iPhone or iDevice is not functioning properly and you have restored/reset/ to no avail, TAKE IT TO AN APPLE STORE. They will fix it, ESPECIALLY with a hardware failure.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Brad02
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz View Post
I went back to the Apple store- before even looking at it, they told me I’d probably be getting a replacement phone. A few questions, tested it for 2 seconds, and said, “I’ll be back with a new phone.” Just like that. Simple. New phone is perfect. Take it in if you haven’t already…
Yeah I knew they would replace it no questions asked. Sad thing is my wife's phone the day after I had mine swapped she told me that hers is now doing the same time. Had to take hers in as well.

I just hate wasting all these screen protectors and stuff. It's really a hassle for me because my job requires me to have a sticker on mine and it shows void when you try to peel it off.
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone