Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Razeus
macrumors 68030

Why don't photo apps retain the original EXIF data

I've been trying out some cloud services like Snapjoy, Everpix and Myshoebox which takes your photos and organizes them automagically in a Timeline like fashion.

To my discovery, MANY photo apps I use to seem to retain the original EXIF data but uses the date and time of when the photo was exported from the app (VSCO for instance) or uploaded to the service (Instagram for instance).

Furthermore, Instgram strips ALL EXIF data (GPS, date, time, phone used, etc), causing me to have to find the originals and manually change the photo to the correct date and time.

Sometimes I just take a photo and can't upload it or process it until later, sometimes MUCH later. Afterall, when I'm with the wife & kids or with friends, I can't sit there and process my photos in an anti-social like manner. It's better to take the photo and worry about the uploads and adjustments later (at least for me).

What's the deal? Apple should be more strict in this regard.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Most of these services strip out the EXIF info for privacy reasons. If they left it in, anybody that found a online photo of your family would be able to tell exactly where the photo was taken... like at your home.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Most of these services strip out the EXIF info for privacy reasons. If they left it in, anybody that found a online photo of your family would be able to tell exactly where the photo was taken... like at your home.
...that makes no sense. If I take it with the Camera app or if I process it through another app, what difference does it make?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
...that makes no sense. If I take it with the Camera app or if I process it through another app, what difference does it make?
Because the Camera app is not used to publicly post the photos like some of these other apps are, and I suspect that is the difference.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps