Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:18 PM   #26
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
If those AC requirements are accurate, they're lower than the PC ones. How is that possible?
I believe OS X takes less of a toll on your hardware than Windows Vista, 7, or 8, which might contribute to the OS X having lower requirements.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:57 PM   #27
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I believe OS X takes less of a toll on your hardware than Windows Vista, 7, or 8, which might contribute to the OS X having lower requirements.
That wouldn't do it, because porting more than makes up for it.
ScholarsInk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:06 PM   #28
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
That wouldn't do it, because porting more than makes up for it.
I don't understand the need to "port"... I do my games in C/C++ with a tiny bit of Obj-C/Cocoa for getting a rendering surface set up and getting user input... it seems like "porting" to Windows would be trivial, the resources and most of the code would be identical regardless of target platform... I've never written an app with a GUI for Windows (except when I did a Java app once....) but it doesn't seem like getting its equivalent to the cocoa/obj-c code wouldn't be hard...
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:41 AM   #29
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
If you're talkin about 6 core MP and beyond then yes.
But a quad MP? It's not reallty that fast, both CPU and GPU has been crapped out by top end 27" iMac for some time now.

Classic reason .. Top end iMac costs $2300 or so for upgraded CPU and GPU, 27" display included.

while a new quad MP costs what? $2500 for a West"mere" Xeon and puny Radeon 5770? And it doesn't even have any display included. I find it really hard to justify the purchase, even if I am a blinded Apple fan.
I meant if you had one. I can't justify a purchase of a Mac Pro at any price!
AnonMac50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 AM   #30
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Game Contrller

Any one know a really good game controller for Mac? or a good app that makes the XBox controller work?
theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:35 PM   #31
ocrane
macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Arkham City.. Crashes entire system over an over again. Tried running in high and medium settings. Running on my Retina MBP 2.6..

Anyone else having this issue?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:29 AM   #32
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Windows has a much better graphics subsystem than OSX ... Not sure why the requirements are different. In fact, the porting overhead should make it higher.

Quote:
I don't understand the need to "port"... I do my games in C/C++ with a tiny bit of Obj-C/Cocoa for getting a rendering surface set up and getting user input... it seems like "porting" to Windows would be trivial, the resources and most of the code would be identical regardless of target platform...
It's because games are not written from scratch using C/C++... they often rely on one or more engines and frameworks - i.e. Unreal for graphics, havok for physics, etc. I don't think these engines are fully supported on the Mac which may account for the need to port.

However, as you probably noticed, games are multi-platform these days - releases are simultaneous on the Xbox, PS3, and PC... it's because the engines and frameworks support those platforms which make it quicker/easier for devs, perhaps one day they'll support OSX (but that'll require a critical mass of users... which Apple still lacks).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo083 View Post
Game companies need to stop selling the rights to the Mac versions to porting companies like feral. Instead they should pay them a large sum to port it and then release it themselves.
I bet Feral licenses these games for cheap - considering it's months after release. Game companies don't want to spend any money on the Mac platform because there are so few users - and the hardcore gamers will use Bootcamp or play on a console.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #33
jesses
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jesses
B:AC working great on my 2012 MBP 13" non-ret. I didn't change any video settings.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:15 PM   #34
Bantz
macrumors member

I doubt you will get good performance on many macs. Im glad I have sli 680s The Witcher 2 is so good
Bantz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:56 PM   #35
jocala
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesses View Post
B:AC working great on my 2012 MBP 13" non-ret. I didn't change any video settings.
After two hours of play, B:AC is running great on my MBP attached to a 40" LCD. Trackball is driving me nuts, I'm constantly facing away from opponents and I'm getting my butt kicked.
jocala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #36
gibkibonzo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrane View Post
I just downloaded Arkham City.. Crashes entire system over an over again. Tried running in high and medium settings. Running on my Retina MBP 2.6..

Anyone else having this issue?
Just a thought: can't believe you spent so much money to get the 2.6 ghz retina with a 512 ssd drive but didnt upgrade to 16gb ram. Shame...
gibkibonzo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion