Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
So I have been digging through my closet figuring out what I need to get rid of, and what I need to keep. And I came across my box of old PowerBook stuff.

Now, I used to have boxes of prototype Apple equipment. Most of it has all been sold off or given away. Used to have clear (and some yellowish clear) PowerBook housings for various models and such, along with some whole systems and so forth.

Anyway, I don't have room for any of this stuff anymore. So I am looking for a home for it! If somebody has some real interest in it, let me know. The parts basically consist of:

One PowerBook G4 Prototype. This is a mix of black plastic and titanium parts. Its a later stage prototype, and it still has the Apple dev stickers on it. It does run (or it did last time I tried), but locks up now and then.

Multiple chassis and one motherboard, and I think 1-2 small PCB's.

Two LCD's, one with Apple dev stickers.

I realize this would typically go in the for sale area, but really I rather them go to a good home. Preferably somebody that collects such items. As I really rather not throw them away.

I don't have photos just this moment, but will take some if there is interest.

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW: I am not looking to get money for it really. Its more or less free minus shipping. Just don't want to see it get thrown away!

Last edited:

Stuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Ok, took some quick photos. Sorry for the fuzziness. iPhone 4S + lowlight = grainy photos.

Attachments

• ProtoPBG4-Open.JPG
    ProtoPBG4-Open.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,047
  • ProtoPBG4-Bottom.jpg
    ProtoPBG4-Bottom.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 983
  • ProtoPBG4-sticker1.jpg
    ProtoPBG4-sticker1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 766
  • ProtoPBG4-sticker2.jpg
    ProtoPBG4-sticker2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 728
  • ProtoPBG4-sticker3.jpg
    ProtoPBG4-sticker3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 770

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I'd love these if you still have them... they'd go into my collection of vintage apple gear. ( I have everything from Compact Macs to some of the later g4s)

EDIT: how can I contact you?

Last edited:

Stuka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I'd love these if you still have them... they'd go into my collection of vintage apple gear. ( I have everything from Compact Macs to some of the later g4s)

EDIT: how can I contact you?

Drop me a PM and I will send you my email.

BTW: The other displays are not good. Not going to bother sending them. Both are damaged.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
If the above doesn't work out I'd also be very interested in this machine. I've got a couple pieces of old Apple hardware and this would fit in great.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
That is Amazing! Having the plastic instead of the paint one the final model would've resolved the infamous paint problem... Awesome.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
How about those LCDs, are they physically damaged or just broken? I have a prototype blueberry/clear LCD with bad boards, and I'm wondering if I could use your bad display as a donor.

By the way, to the new owner of this laptop, let me know if you want the schematics. I think I have the PDF, but if not, then it's just board view files which require windows to view.

tomsa34

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
iknow you aren't looking for money but I'd gladly pay. this is just what I needed for my collection. pm me if you have it still

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Do you still have this?

I am interested. Please message me back! Thanks--

Alec

So I have been digging through my closet figuring out what I need to get rid of, and what I need to keep. And I came across my box of old PowerBook stuff.

Now, I used to have boxes of prototype Apple equipment. Most of it has all been sold off or given away. Used to have clear (and some yellowish clear) PowerBook housings for various models and such, along with some whole systems and so forth.

Anyway, I don't have room for any of this stuff anymore. So I am looking for a home for it! If somebody has some real interest in it, let me know. The parts basically consist of:

One PowerBook G4 Prototype. This is a mix of black plastic and titanium parts. Its a later stage prototype, and it still has the Apple dev stickers on it. It does run (or it did last time I tried), but locks up now and then.

I realize this would typically go in the for sale area, but really I rather them go to a good home. Preferably somebody that collects such items. As I really rather not throw them away.

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW: I am not looking to get money for it really. Its more or less free minus shipping. Just don't want to see it get thrown away!

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Is the G4 still available?

Thanks!

I would love to have the tibook g4!

crow99

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Aluminum version of this

I have a fully functional 15'' Aluminum Powerbook G4 prototype version of this. Except mine is fully functional without issue. It's got all the same type of tags that the Titanium. There are bumps and bruises... but it's an old machine that's been well used. For a 10 year old machine, it's pretty darn sturdy.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I have a fully functional 15'' Aluminum Powerbook G4 prototype version of this. Except mine is fully functional without issue. It's got all the same type of tags that the Titanium. There are bumps and bruises... but it's an old machine that's been well used. For a 10 year old machine, it's pretty darn sturdy.

Any chance of pics?

crow99

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Aluminum Powerbook Prototype Photos

Here you go. I don't know if I'd get in trouble posting these seeing how this machine is so old, but I intentionally blurred out serial codes and certain parts just in case. It should give you enough information though to show validity.

Attachments

• photo(71).JPG
    photo(71).JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 275
  • photo(75).JPG
    photo(75).JPG
    230 KB · Views: 419
  • photo(73).JPG
    photo(73).JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 276
  • pbbattery.jpg
    pbbattery.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 329

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Here you go. I don't know if I'd get in trouble posting these seeing how this machine is so old, but I intentionally blurred out serial codes and certain parts just in case. It should give you enough information though to show validity.

Very interesting. Where did you get a hold of this machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.