Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If Rogers has 9+ million subs, and even a small percentage preorder or go for the 4S, then I'm sure you'll be fine as #678.

How did it work by the way? Didn't realize they actually tell you where in the queue you are.

Hey Profets...you actually go online to the Rogers.com site...log into your account and there it offers to reserve your device...once reserved it will tell you what number you are. I was 678 yesterday...hoping to be down a few more today. I likely go wait in line anyhow, just in case my unit doesn't arrive on launch day.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
ATTENTION ROGERS PEOPLE...I checked my online upgrade eligibility tool and was told it would cost me $319 + $320 + $35 admin fee.

WOW what a croc...I could pretty much cancel my account and go with Bell for a $100 more. Or I could just buy an unlocked cell phone from Apple for that price or just alittle more.

I sure hope some better pricing comes out at the 11th hour.

Any other Rogers people care to share their pricing...I'm interested in knowing what everyone else is paying.

Thanks.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
ATTENTION ROGERS PEOPLE...I checked my online upgrade eligibility tool and was told it would cost me $319 + $320 + $35 admin fee.

WOW what a croc...I could pretty much cancel my account and go with Bell for a $100 more. Or I could just buy an unlocked cell phone from Apple for that price or just alittle more.

Any other Rogers people care to share their pricing...I'm interested in knowing what everyone else is paying.

Thanks.
yea that sucks. Robbers is just screwing us over. As of now, it looks like I wont be getting the newest iphone since I got the 3G, sigh :(

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks.

As much as I love to hate on Rogers, there's nothing really wrong with what they're doing. Not completely anyway.

At one point this year they introduced an early upgrade program that depending on the current phone you received from them with a subsidy (discount) you have an early upgrade fee to pay. Currently you have to wait 30 months from upgrade to upgrade to receive the full discount. You getting the $320 early upgrade fee shows you have 16 months ($320 / 20) remaining to "pay off" the currently subsidy. I guess you got an iPhone 4 at launch last year with Rogers?

The concept at play is fair. Can't expect a $500 discount every year. But some other things I think are not - 30 months between full discounts is too much. 18 or 24 months would be more fair. And depending on the phone you last got a discount on the early upgrade fee is based on $10/$15/$20 per month for the months remaining. the iPhone 4 is $20/month for the early upgrade fee. Telus for example for all smartphones has a $10/month early upgrade fee which seems much more fair than Rogers at $20.

Honestly, at the end of the day, most of us have been getting an iPhone with subsidy every year from Rogers.. its too easy to sell it a year later for more than the subsidized price and put the money toward a new one. If you want the 4S go buy it unlocked from Apple and stop extending your contract with Rogers. I'm sure you can even sell your 4 for $400ish if its in good shape too.

blazed301

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Need help plz!

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here can help me find out which carrier my iphone 4 is locked to. I bought it from craiglist and didnt really know to much about it being locked to carrier. I do have the serial # an Imei # and can inbox them to anyone that can help. Anyways any help would be much appreciated.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here can help me find out which carrier my iphone 4 is locked to. I bought it from craiglist and didnt really know to much about it being locked to carrier. I do have the serial # an Imei # and can inbox them to anyone that can help. Anyways any help would be much appreciated.

Ask the person that you bought it from. Otherwise try to track down sims from as many carriers as you can find to see if any work.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Unlock iPhone 4 on Bell

I just searched this thread and did not see any discussions of unlocking since 2010. Is there any option to unlock my iPhone 4 on Bell besides paying them $50? I am not a Bell customer but they will unlock the phone. Since some of the US providers are unlocking phones for free, this seems like a really high price. Better than the $75 they were charging but still too high.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
It gets worse...

I just gave up and called Bell Canada to pay the $50 to have them unlock THEIR phone and they wouldn't do it!

Bell: Without an account to charge the $50 to, we can't unlock the phone.
Me: I have a Visa card, you can charge it there.
Bell: Sorry, without an account to charge the $50 to, we can't unlock the phone.
Me: OK, open an account for me, charge me the $50, unlock the phone and then close the account.
Bell: Sorry, we can't do that. Without an account to charge the $50 to, we can't unlock the phone.
Me: OK, if Bell will not unlock their own phone, who do you recommend?
Bell: Since it is not a service that Bell provides I can't speak about it.

Can anyone PLEASE point me to someone who can unlock this phone for me?

Thanks.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
As much as I love to hate on Rogers, there's nothing really wrong with what they're doing. Not completely anyway.

At one point this year they introduced an early upgrade program that depending on the current phone you received from them with a subsidy (discount) you have an early upgrade fee to pay. Currently you have to wait 30 months from upgrade to upgrade to receive the full discount. You getting the $320 early upgrade fee shows you have 16 months ($320 / 20) remaining to "pay off" the currently subsidy. I guess you got an iPhone 4 at launch last year with Rogers?

The concept at play is fair. Can't expect a $500 discount every year. But some other things I think are not - 30 months between full discounts is too much. 18 or 24 months would be more fair. And depending on the phone you last got a discount on the early upgrade fee is based on $10/$15/$20 per month for the months remaining. the iPhone 4 is $20/month for the early upgrade fee. Telus for example for all smartphones has a $10/month early upgrade fee which seems much more fair than Rogers at $20.

Honestly, at the end of the day, most of us have been getting an iPhone with subsidy every year from Rogers.. its too easy to sell it a year later for more than the subsidized price and put the money toward a new one. If you want the 4S go buy it unlocked from Apple and stop extending your contract with Rogers. I'm sure you can even sell your 4 for $400ish if its in good shape too.

My only beef with rogers is that they will never allow me to upgrade again unless I choose a plan that is "currently being offered"

So even though I signed a 3 year contract in 2012 and got the iPhone 5 (which was stolen a few months later) I've been using my iPhone 4!

So I decided to just pay the early upgrade fee (which I don't have an issue with) and get a new phone.

But now I've been told that I must choose a new plan (that gets me half the data and double the price lol)

If anyone other carrier offered the same plan I would leave instantly just not to give rogers my business, but my plan is too good. So I hate them and love them too.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My only beef with rogers is that they will never allow me to upgrade again unless I choose a plan that is "currently being offered"

So even though I signed a 3 year contract in 2012 and got the iPhone 5 (which was stolen a few months later) I've been using my iPhone 4!

So I decided to just pay the early upgrade fee (which I don't have an issue with) and get a new phone.

But now I've been told that I must choose a new plan (that gets me half the data and double the price lol)

If anyone other carrier offered the same plan I would leave instantly just not to give rogers my business, but my plan is too good. So I hate them and love them too.

whats your current plan?

I am with rogers and have about 10 months left on my contract that I was considering paying the upgrade fee to get a iPhone 6 plus on a new 2 year deal

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
whats your current plan?

I am with rogers and have about 10 months left on my contract that I was considering paying the upgrade fee to get a iPhone 6 plus on a new 2 year deal

Hey sorry, I think I either replied to your msg like 5 times in a row or not at all.

let me know if it went through, if not Ill just type it here

after taxes and random discounts I got from them, I pay a total of $93 something per month..
Includes 6gb data
unlimited talk and text in canada/usa
visual voice mail
caller ID
100 international texts

All I really need is my 6GB data , but based on their current pricing, if I choose the cheapest possible plan they have (you need like a minimum $ amount per month for iPhone, not sure what it is, I think its $55)
And if I want 6gb data, I'm looking at around $125 before taxes and that won't include my free long distance calls to USA..

Last edited:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Necrothread...

That said, it makes more sense to just buy your phone outright. Even a $20 different in plans tacks an extra $480 on top of your phone purchase, and most plans will bump a lot of people up by that much, ime.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Lol just noticed my post you replied to is from 3 years ago. So much has changed since then, including my hate for Rogers, haha.

When they were forced onto the 2 year subsidies last year, along with the new share plans, it wasn't too bad if you had more than 1 line. For ex, at the time of launch, single line with 6GB (no subsidy/contract) was $85, and additional lines (with no subsidy) were $35. I switched myself & my wife to it (we've been using unlocked iPhones). $120/month for 2 lines (60/line) for unlimited voice/sms & 6GB shared data really didn't seem that bad of an option. But of course, since then they've continuously increased the prices. I think that same setup within 8 months slowly crept up to $150-160 for 2 lines with no subsidies. Terrible. Honestly, I'd shop around for the best plan (though even that won't yield much) and use an unlocked phone.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Rogers Rant

Rogers sucks they want to change my plan in order to get the iphone6+ on a new 2 year contract, the new plan is $30 more a month, no to mention I owe $150 to upgrade early(this I understand and have no issues) but essentialy the 30 more a month is $360 a year plus the $150 EUF thats $510

so in the long run of 2 years I am better off buying an unlocked version from apple

wrxsti88

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
yes rogers has done that since iphone 4, forcing customers to up their contracts to $50 back then to get the 4 for a subsidized price. Now they want a min of a $80 plan to get the 6. You are better off buying an unlocked phone and you can upgrade every year and sell off your phone every year to upgrade.

Im going to cut down my plan and just buy an unlocked phone every time, let's say i buy a iphone 6, you can bet when the 6S comes out I can get sell my 6 for a min of 50% of what I paid for it and use that towards the 6S.

Damn you rogers!!!:mad:

Rogers sucks they want to change my plan in order to get the iphone6+ on a new 2 year contract, the new plan is $30 more a month, no to mention I owe $150 to upgrade early(this I understand and have no issues) but essentialy the 30 more a month is $360 a year plus the $150 EUF thats $510

so in the long run of 2 years I am better off buying an unlocked version from apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.