Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I recently upgraded the sound system for my computer system with the Focal Little Bird 2.1 Pack. They are pricey, but have wonderful mid- and high-range reproduction. The bass isn't out of this world, but sounds very clean for music.

I wanted something where the primary speakers weren't very large but still had nice sound. This system definitely fits the bill. The backend amp contains a couple analog inputs, digital, and (proprietary) wireless inputs. That amp is where the subwoofer is located. I put it on the edge of my desk behind the monitor and plugged my PC in via digital input.

The 2.1 system is designed with music in mind and has no provision for surround sound. Even these smallest speakers could fill a medium sized room with sound. The Focal name probably adds some to the price, but the sound is definitely worth it.

I ordered mine from Crutchfield and got free Focal headphones out of the deal!

JTMusicVA

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
Woodbridge, VA, USA
VERY GOOD, though on the cheaper end.....

... are the Prodipe POD3 powered desktop speakers. (<$200) You can sit your iPod in the top, or connect RCA and 1/8' stereo cables....
Has a subwoofer output, if needed, but these things DO put out some pretty decent bass themselves.
Comes with a nice full-control remote.
***One thing you must do with these affordable speakers is bring up the treble control a few notches. Otherwise, the treble in these is a little subdued, just bring it up in the remote and the silk-dome tweeters will breathe some nice air...

JTMusicVA

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
Woodbridge, VA, USA
I had recommended the Prodipe POD3 as a quite affordable "audiophile" desktop speaker....
Reading through this thread, I saw some recommendations for the AudioEngine A2. I also own these A2 speakers, and I'm not all that impressed with the sound, and the POD3 blows it out of the water, take my word for it. Plus, the POD3 gives all kinds of options whereas the A2 doesn't give you anything more than 2 inputs and a volume control....
If you're seriously considering the A2, move to the Prodipe POD3 instead - I promise you'll be happier.....

Tribbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Don't overlook DIY speaker kits. You can "assemble" a kit for a fraction of the cost of some high-end boutique factory speakers.

There are really only a few high-end speaker driver manufacturers in the world and those drivers are employed in some surprisingly uber priced exotic wood speaker cabinets.

My friends and I have been blown away by a couple of DIY speaker kits I "assembled" for myself as main speakers. For smaller computer speakers consider these for example:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...seas-loki-mkii-coaxial-kit-with-cabinet-each/
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...0e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having been thinking about it for a while, and eyeing them with undisguised lust, and, given that I really like their headphones (I have the B&W P5s and P7s), I finally - this week - succumbed to temptation and invested in a pair of B&W MM1s for my computer and in the legendary (and stunning) B&W Zeppelin speaker for iPods.

They were delivered to my home two days ago, and I am still smiling when I think of them. However, as I am returning to work in Asia tomorrow, and won't be back for another few months, a full review and commentary, observations (along with getting them fully set up) will have to wait for a short while.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Having been thinking about it for a while, and eyeing them with undisguised lust, and, given that I really like their headphones (I have the B&W P5s and P7s), I finally - this week - succumbed to temptation and invested in a pair of B&W MM1s for my computer and in the legendary (and stunning) B&W Zeppelin speaker for iPods.

They were delivered to my home two days ago, and I am still smiling when I think of them. However, as I am returning to work in Asia tomorrow, and won't be back for another few months, a full review and commentary, observations (along with getting them fully set up) will have to wait for a short while.

Those P7s are simply delicious to hear, aren't they? The unique driver design - a departure from that used in the P3 and P5 - allows it to dig deeper and richer than B&W's other phones. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Those P7s are simply delicious to hear, aren't they? The unique driver design - a departure from that used in the P3 and P5 - allows it to dig deeper and richer than B&W's other phones. :)

Agreed; they are simply brilliant. I love them, and the sound is superb.

However, when travelling, or, en route somewhere, I bring the P5s, which are perfect and are an almost permanent occupant of my briefcase; they combine comfort (that lovely soft leather), portability (they are not too big or cumbersome), style and terrific audio quality.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Hi all,

I have a pair of Audioengine A5+ (white) which I currently have connected my my main PC rig, and are hooked into an internal ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card.

After I have saved up enough cash, I will be buying an iMac which will replace my PC rig. However, how do you all connect your Audioengine speakers to your iMacs as I have seen in the 'post you setup' thread?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I have the Klipsch iFi system, but it's stopped working. I don't know much about audio; I just happened to get it for a great deal.

It's a 2.1 system and had amazing sound. Does anyone know something equivalent?

This is the iFi:
http://www.klipsch.com/ifi-ipod-speaker-system/details

It was amazing. It's so good that I see people are trying to repair theirs (they all seem to break in similar ways), but I'm not handy enough for that.

supermoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
California
After I have saved up enough cash, I will be buying an iMac which will replace my PC rig. However, how do you all connect your Audioengine speakers to your iMacs as I have seen in the 'post you setup' thread?

I also have A5+ speakers (along with the S8 subwoofer) that I connect to my macbook pro. I use the the optical audio output from the headphone jack with a toslink to mini toslink cable and connect to an audioengine D1 external DAC to provide better sound quality with more extension and texture than the onboard sound card. It is a good, simple entry-level DAC which is USB-powered and also supports USB audio. There is also a built-in headphone amp

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
I also have A5+ speakers (along with the S8 subwoofer) that I connect to my macbook pro. I use the the optical audio output from the headphone jack with a toslink to mini toslink cable and connect to an audioengine D1 external DAC to provide better sound quality with more extension and texture than the onboard sound card. It is a good, simple entry-level DAC which is USB-powered and also supports USB audio. There is also a built-in headphone amp

Hi supermoon, and thanks for your reply!!

Since I wrote my initial post above, I've done a little more research, but I hadn't seen your solution. Many thanks :D

I'd been thinking of purchasing the equivalent of my Xonar Essence STX, namely http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One/

Unfortunately, I've read that even though it works perfectly fine with a Mac, Asus has never released a driver for a Mac.

chaz91

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
Looking for some smaller footprint desktop speakers that actually sound excellent.

Depends on your budget but I'd have a look at AVI DM5 or if you can stretch to it the AVI ADM9RS. Alternatively for less than the above two I'd highly recommend Aktimate speakers - particularly the Aktimate Micro!

All of the above are active (with the amp built in) and give great sound quality!

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
I think the soundsticks iii from Harman Kardon are excellent. I've been using the wired model for over a couple years now.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
If I was in the market to buy a new set of speaker for my computer I would go with some powered monitors like the M-Audio, KRG or Yamaha. They cost less than the "boutique" computer speaker set and they have better sound than most. They look badass too.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I've had a set of Swan M10s for a long time now and they are beautiful speakers. Really high quality sound and they look wonderful.

They're a 2.1 setup, but it's not really a sub. Needs to be at the same level as the 2 speakers.

(not my setup)

img_3417.jpg

Reactions: bhtwo

harishp

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Klipsch

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. For the price, they are amazing. Great sound and they are THX certified too.

Borgmonster

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
Nl
Any updates available about best small desktop speakers?
I now have the B&W MM-1 speakers On my private desktop but look for another pair for my office desktop (private room, no other people I can bother with my music.

Any suggestions?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any updates available about best small desktop speakers?
I now have the B&W MM-1 speakers On my private desktop but look for another pair for my office desktop (private room, no other people I can bother with my music.

Any suggestions?

How do you find the Bowers&Wilkins MM-1 speakers? I have those myself and find them excellent.

Are you looking for something similar?

Borgmonster

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
Nl
O yeah, they really sound (and look) great. So, there is no "sound" reason to buy something else, but I would like to give something else a try. Instead of buying two pairs of the same speakers.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Kef has a great little speaker that can be set up in pairs for a broad stereo base but for a great speaker that looks like it belongs to your Mac I have gone with Bose Soundlink Mini II, which also has a built-in mic and ten-hour battery so is extremely versatile.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Kef has a great little speaker that can be set up in pairs for a broad stereo base but for a great speaker that looks like it belongs to your Mac I have gone with Bose Soundlink Mini II, which also has a built-in mic and ten-hour battery so is extremely versatile.

Yes, I am a fan of the Bose Soundlink myself, it works easily, has a decent battery, looks well, offers excellent sound, and is nice and portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.