Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amanda.su.ting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I have a new 15 inch macbook pro and I'm just learning how to use final cut pro. I can import video from my Sony HDR-XR500 into I-Movie 9, but when I try to import it to final cut express (from the camera), it doesn't seem to recognize the format of the video. I want to make sure that i import to final cut in the best way possible to not lose any quality. I thought I might be able to move the videos from I-Movie to final cut but i'm worried about losing quality. When I tried to import the videos to my old PC, if I didn't use the Sony PMB software the PC wouldn't recognize the format but when I used the PMB software it was ok. However, PMB doesn't work for Macs so I think I need some other sort of convert. Which one is the best or would it be ok to just funnel everything through I-movie? I found a converter on the sony website but i'm not sure if it will work for this particular camera (http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/274168) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
SD video shot using avchd camcorders is not supported in fcp - use mpeg stream clip to convert the sd (mpeg2) to dv pal or something.

fcp - log and transfer tool - should see footage there - choose apple pro res lt

sumelekh

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
when i use log and transfer the footage from the hdr-xr500 the only option i get on fcp is to save it as a 1400by1080i video whereas the original footage is of 1920by1080i quality. thus there is a loss of quality.how can i transfer the video as 1920by1080i.

Nov 28, 2010
located
when i use log and transfer the footage from the hdr-xr500 the only option i get on fcp is to save it as a 1400by1080i video whereas the original footage is of 1920by1080i quality. thus there is a loss of quality.how can i transfer the video as 1920by1080i.

Do you use Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro?
Are you sure you recorded in 1920 x 1080? Because the camera also records in 1440 x 1080: http://www.sony.lv/product/hdd-avchd-hard-disk-drive/hdr-xr500ve#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

sumelekh

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Sony HDR xr500 footage in fcp

I am trying to import HD footage (mts) from the Sony HDR xr500 into fcp 7 using log and capture and under preferences choosing apple prores. After the footage is imported and appears in the bin on playing it on full screen I can see the video has interlace issues. Even after I put it on the timeline and view it on full screen it is showing the video is interlaced and flickering occurs on the moving image due to a ghosting effect caused by the interlacing problem. On exporting the video using QT export the interlacing goes away in the output the video quality has reduced. What is the best way to import Sony HDR xr500 HD footage into FCP with zero loss of quality in the video quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.