Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey all,

I have a Mac running Mountain Lion, but I've noticed something new about the system: there is no longer an Installed Software tab in the Software Update pane in System Preferences. This list is very helpful, as it lets me determine what updates have been installed, and when. Where do I go to find the list of installed updates? Do I find it in the software update log, or somewhere else?

Last edited:

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for the reply nyolc8, but if I'm not mistaken, all I can see in the System Profiler.app is the OS version, not a list of installed updates. Unless you are referring to the log section under the Software heading? But even then, that just displays a list of logs, not what was actually installed.

TRT1968

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply nyolc8, but if I'm not mistaken, all I can see in the System Profiler.app is the OS version, not a list of installed updates. Unless you are referring to the log section under the Software heading? But even then, that just displays a list of logs, not what was actually installed.

Yes, I have the same problem. A user reported a sudden loss of VPN connectivity (F5 Networks, Firepass), with the same symptoms as one of their underlings a few days before. I wanted to check the date, time and which updates to see if there was a correlation. Couldn't for the life of me find the software update logs in Mountain Lion. Turns out it's a Java related issue (installing the Java run time environment including browser plugins and running the F5 auto installer as per instructions fixed it), but I still don't know if it was caused by an update or not.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Like everyone said, it's in System Information.app.

updatesw.png

Last edited:

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone!

I stand corrected; nyolc8 was right after all. You just have to check under the /Software/Installations section in System Info.

I also like Quad5Ny's suggestion as well, however, for those who prefer to see the actual receipts file, and may want a little bit more information than what System Info has to offer.

Thread solved! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.